Asked on Jan 25, 2020

How can I adhere fabric to an oil canvas?

KmdreamerLindsay AratariK. Rupp
+8

I have a piece of velvet I would like to attach to an oil painting type canvas. Since the fabrixmc has a knap a typical modge podge or glue won't work. Any advice?

• Mogie

Fabric canvas art using Mod Podge:

https://modpodgerocksblog.com/easy-fabric-canvas-art/

• Pamela

Hi ! Maybe try a spray adhesive !

• Nan W.

Mary: maybe you could use a staple gun and staple to back of wood frame.

• Sharon

I always use spray adhesive from 3M for those types of projects, simply spray on the back of the fabric and on the canvas, and make sure you get it right laying it down as its really hard to lift it back up.

• Craft Invaders

I'd staple it on Mary, that way you'll be able to get the fabric nice and taut :)

Use 3M Super 77 spray adhesive.

• Recreated Designs

Hi Mary, I would use spray adhesive if you just need it to stick to the canvas. You can spray that back of the canvas with a strong spray adhesive (find it at Michaels) and that will adhere the velvet to the canvas.

• K. Rupp

YES I agree with William 3M Super 77 spray adhesive is the absolute best!!! Right at Home Depot. The only issue is that it is in a spray can. I don't know if I have seen it in a bottle or can. If you need to apply it as a paste instead of a spray, spray on a paper plate and use a brush or toothpick or plastic knife to apply it where you need it. You have a little bit of working time because it works best when it gets tacky anyway. I use it for all sorts of projects including upholstery. If it works for all that to keep trim in place, it will definitely work for you application. The other glue I like but much more expensive is FABRI-TAC.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=fabritac&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

I use that for no-sew applications as well. Permanent adhesive but for a small small bottle on Amazon it is around $10 and works similarly to the 77. Sooo.. in that case you get more of the spray can and it is cheaper getting it off the shelf at Home Depot or Lowes. Have fun with your project:)

• Lindsay Aratari

You could staple it on

• Kmdreamer

Hot glue or gorilla glue