DIY Faux Concrete Planter & DIY Flexible Medallions

$30

Figuring out how to make flexible medallions and how to get the best 'faux' concrete look was a good, creative challenge for me. And, I'm loving the end result...so a 'win' there too! So, let's dive into the details for this DIY Faux Concrete Planter with DIY Flexible Medallions!
All I wanted was a pretty, stone/concrete pot with some sort of decoration/medallion in which to plant my new, baby Olive Tree. I thought, "how hard can that be to find?" Turns out they are not hard to find, but, when I saw the price tags...well, let's just say that I really didn't want to spend that kind of money on a flower pot.It was in one of my searches that I ran across the perfect shaped pot (for $3.98 mind you) and then, well, it just started snowballing from there.With pots in hand, I next needed to figure out how to DIY flexible medallions. Turns out that the glue I use for so many projects was all I needed, but it took me a while to figure that out.So, consider this my gift to you...I will save you time and money, cut through all my failed experiments and just give you the knowledge...all you need to make perfect, flexible medallions is the ubiquitous E6000 Industrial Strength Adhesive and a silicone mold. If you don't have E6000 laying around your house right now, then you need to hightail it to your local craft or hardware store (who are we kidding, if you're like me you'll just order it from Amazon!) and purchase a tube or two, whether you make these medallions or not.E6000 is my go-to adhesive for so many projects.
  • Figure out where you want your diy flexible medallions to be. I had the center of my medallions 3" up from the bottom of the pot, so I measured and drew a line around the circumference of the pot 3" up from the bottom.
  • My circumference was 21" and since I wanted 4 medallions equally spaced, I divided 21" by 4, so I spaced my medallions every 5.25" apart and marked those spots on my pot.
  • Using the E6000, I glued medallions on the pot. Once again, don't stress if glue oozes out under the medallion as the concrete paint will cover all that up.
  • I used 3 bungee cords to hold my medallion in place while it was drying and then repeated it 4 times...I didn't really try to get more medallions under the bungees but give it a try.
  • I gave my pots and saucers a quick spray of black spray paint. I just used up 4-5 cans of almost empty black, metallic black and blackish brown spray paints...BONUS POINTS FOR CLEANING OUT THE SPRAY PAINT SHELF!!
  • Mix up the concrete paint. You can use the paint right out of the jar, but it was a little too blue for me so I added in some brown and black acrylic paint to tone the blue down. If I had to come up with a recipe, I would say about 1 TB of each of the brown and the black for 1/3 cup of the concrete paint.
  • I also didn't try to thoroughly incorporate the brown and black, instead leaving some unmixed to give the final color of my faux concrete planters some depth.
  • Use a wax brush to dab the paint on your pot.
Once the paint is dry, you could leave your DIY Faux Concrete Planter as is or give it a whitewash.
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)
  • If you leave it as is, make sure to give the entire pot, inside and out, 2 coats of an acrylic sealer.
  • If you are going to whitewash, I found that a true white was too stark so I mixed up a sandy color using white, yellow, brown and black. You could do the same or purchase a sandy color, I listed some in the materials list above.
  • To whitewash your pot, use a dry brush technique in which you wipe most of the paint off of the brush before you apply it to your pot.
  • And once again, seal the entire pot before you use it or the paint will bubble

Lynn @ Nourish and Nestle

• Dl.5660408

Great idea! Do you need to coat the silicon molds with anything before putting the glue in?

• Annie

They look great what concrete paint did you use please

• Laura

Wonder if a mold made with hot glue like they do to cast missing intricate pieces on furniture would work with the E6000? Or do you think it would all just stick together?

• Jacx
      15 minutes ago

She didn't say but the grey molds are Iron Orchid's, look them up, amazing stuff!

• Dee

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

• Jacx
    18 minutes ago

Love this idea....another excuse to by more molds from IOD! That looks so authentic. Wonderful idea.