Stationary Industrial Crane Rods

$28

Do you like curtains? I love curtains. I feel they give my windows a softness and a finished look that compliments the decor in any given room in the house. I found the cutest curtains on sale but upon opening them, discovered they were skinny panels. Since they were on sale, they were non-returnable. When I returned to the store to buy another set, they were sold out. So instead of hanging them on a regular curtain rod, as the skinny panels won’t cover the whole window, I decided to make my own Industrial Stationary Crane Rods.
Living in the PNW the sun rises early and sets late in the summers which means we like our blackout curtains and they tend to be heavy. I wanted sturdy rods but didn’t need one all the way across the window. Just two short ones on each side. I was going for an industrial look. Even though these curtains are not blackout, most of the crane rods we found to purchase were on the flimsy side. I also didn’t care for them to hinge or swing out and I wanted the option if I ever chose to purchase blackout curtains I would replace the short rods with a long rod and keep the same industrial look.
First, let’s gather our materials:• 2- flanges for 1/2” pipes • 8- screws• 2- 1/2” 90 degree elbows • 2- 1/2”x 1” nipples• 2- 18” galvanized pipes• 2- 1/2” end caps• power drillWe were able to find everything in black at Lowe’s.The next thing we did was find a stud we could screw the flange into.
Once all 4 screws were secure in the flange (we used the power drill to screw them into the wall), attach one end of the 1/2”x1” nipple to the elbow. Then twist the other end into the flange.
Make sure the open end of the elbow is facing towards the window and is tight enough that the weight of the curtain won’t pull the rod down or un-level it.
Twist the 18” galvanized pipe into the open end of the elbow.
Slide one of the skinny panels onto the galvanized pipe.
Twist the end cap on. Then repeat the steps on the opposite side.
I’m happy with how these rods turned out. I love the industrial look mixed with farmhouse chic. To see more projects and photos of how we style our home visit us on our Instagram page @beaus_and_belles.

To see more: http://instagram.com/beaus_and_belles/

• Jo Ann Stidman

Love this! And I understood why and what u did.

Can u advise me what would I add or do differently if I wanted my rod to swing out? Would I add something to this elbow or entirely different connection?

• Rosie

Love the swing out curtain rods, unfortunately they are quite expensive no matter where you buy them.

• Tracy Coe

I have tried to find supplies such as this at hardware stores and struck out. Where do you get the "industrial stationary crane rods" and other necessities? Lowe's online doesn't have what you've shown here.

• Ann

I love this! I'm going to give this a try over my living room window, but need to know if I can go longer than 18" on the galvanized pipe. My window is HUGE. Thanks!

• Gail Webster

Love the industrial look. I’m getting ready to move, so I’ll be doing this! I hate the look of that dark bare rod in the center .... on top of the windows. Now I’ll just see the crisp paint color, and the curtain panels!

Thanks for sharing!

G Webster

• Carole gerst

I still think this is a fabulous idea actually I've never seen anything like this before in my life wow I can't believe this you just invented something I hope you know that can't wait to try it