Bath Mat From Shopping Bags

$15

We’ve seen mats made into totes but how about totes made into a non-slip bath mat? No sewing involved.

These plastic tarpaulin-style shopping bags were just too bright and fun for me to resist. I love graphic, bold patterns and have more than one place where I can use them to brighten up a space.

This section in cut out, plus the zip area

I cut away everything including the narrow sides (shown above) and zip, leaving only the broad sides and base in one long piece. All the sides already had hems which I left intact by cutting along their outsides.In some places the pieces wouldn't lie completely flat, so I cut through the stitching. This did the trick.

Putting the two side by side gave me a really nice sized mat. I overlapped them where they met and glued them together with contact adhesive.

At this stage the handles were still on so I unpicked these with a hem picker. Once the double stitches were cut through on the reverse side, it was very easy to loosen the lot on the right side.

2 of the sheets in place.

I cut the backing to fit just inside the hems on the reverse side of the bags. I needed two and a half rolls of backing.

I spread contact adhesive on the reverse side of the bags and then pasted the non-slip fabric on top. It helps to have a second person hold onto the farthest corners whilst you position the backing.

Spreading the glue also takes some planning because one needs to get close to the edges of the backing but not overshoot. I tried putting the glue on the backing itsself but found that it squelched through the holes a lot more.

I worked section by section and weighted each section down with trays and bricks - make sure yours aren’t as dirty as mine. Once one section was dry, I moved on to the next section until all three were done.

Then I took off the weights and admired the completed product. I think it could possibly do with another layer of spray varnish but I was too excited to see it installed.

Actually, I have an even better place for it in my super dark guest loo. Believe me, it works superbly with the post box red doors and yellow walls. Even the most conservative people are blown away at the shock of colour.

• Grace Commons

How would you clean them?? Great Idea!!

• Michelle Mallen

Wouldn't they be slippery when wet ??

• MeLynda Rinker

The top would be slippery when wet. The mat won't slip on the floor due to the non-slip backing, but wet feet might slip on top. I might consider using yarn and a large needle to stitch yarn through the mat before gluing on the backing. A few rows of yarn stitched through it might give the top a little slip-stoppage for the human standing on it while wet.

• Sandra Ross Warren

They are not absorbent are they?

• Itsmemic

I love this reusing those pretty bags....good job. I think I would use spray fabric adhesive to make it easier...I stock up at the dollar tree !!