Asked on Jan 27, 2020

How can I paint wood paneling to make it look smooth?

Becky at Flipping the FlipKmdreamerLifestyles Homes
+6

• Jeremy Hoffpauir
    Jeremy Hoffpauir

You should lightly hand sand the paneling before sanding. Apply primer to seal the surface and 2 coats of latex paint with a roller. This should produce a smooth surface.

Hope this Helps! Jeremy - https://do-daddy.com

• GrandmasHouseDIY
    GrandmasHouseDIY

Hi Diane, I agree with Jeremy, to get it truly smooth fine grit sand paper over the entire surface should do the trick. Then primer and 2 coats of paint!

• Peggy Burnette
    Peggy Burnette

Hi Diane, I hope this is what you are looking for to make your painted wood paneling look smooth. Good luck www.laurengreutman.com › paint-over-wood-paneling

DIY Home Repair Hack: Easily Paint Over Wood Paneling

Mar 6, 2014 - Needless to say, I've have to paint over wood paneling quite a bit in my ... The key to making this work is in the types of products that you use.

• Annie
    Annie

Hi Diane, here is what we did with old wood paneling. Do you have grooves in your paneling? Our project didn't have any sanding at all.

https://countrylivinginacariboovalley.com/paint-wood-panelling/

• Unexpected Elegance
    Unexpected Elegance

Yes, I agree with the above comments. A fine grit sandpaper and primer should do the trick. If there are grooves, you will need to fill them in first.

William

Make sure the paneling is clean and dry. Prime with a good stain blocking primer like Kilz. Then paint like painting regular walls. Acrilyc latex paint will work. If the paneling has grooves you can fill them with non shrink drywall patching compound. Just put on enough to fill the grooves. Let it dry overnight. Next day use a damp sponge to smooth the patch. Then prime and paint.

• Lifestyles Homes
    Lifestyles Homes

I think your “smooth” query was referring to the grooves.

Yes, drywall compound works and is sandable.

Painters caulk works too and I tool it with a wet putty knife, as it’s not sandable.

• Kmdreamer
    Kmdreamer

I would use a roller fill in any cracks with plaster then paint it.

• If it's not already smooth, paint is not going to make it smooth, you'll need to fill it in with a joint compound or something similar, sand it, then paint it.