Gorgeous Green Antique Waterfall Vanity Makeover

$50

This neglected waterfall vanity was in dire need of a makeover, follow along as I take it from boring to beautiful.Pop over to my blog for more free home decor and furniture tutorials.
Here is the antique waterfall vanity waiting patiently in line to be given a makeover. The handles have been broken or missing over the years and there is allot of missing veneer pieces especially on the edges.
I love the character of antique pieces as most have hand written dimensions and notes written inside proving the unique hand craftsmanship they were made of back in the day.
There was lots of wood filler used and power sanding after a good scrubbing . Then the milk painting was a challenge too but I seem to love a challenge as I worked thru each challenge to get the end result.
Be sure to go to the detailing in depth tutorial linked at the end of this post to see all the challenges and how they were resolved.
But they were all worth it to get this result!!
Three coats of kettle cove green milk paint were used and sealed with Minwax dark wax along with Daddy Van's cafe noir wax. Rub 'n Buff was used on vintage hardware I had in stock which made the green pop.
I love milk paint on antique pieces, this paint is so fitting seeing it was the paint used way back then to this day still. View more milk painted projects I have done.

• TSP  (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0015WT148/ref=as_li_qf_asin_il_tl?ie)
  • Rub n buff antique gold  (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00081HYDM/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=)
  • Orbital sand paper  (https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07HHY6MKY)
Creative Moments

• Lisa Minton-Gill

I have a veneer dresser that I’ve had since I was 5, it’s been painted black but I love this green & have been wanting to redo it ! Can you please tell me the best way to strip the black paint off?

• Creative Moments

The old style paint/varnish strippers were the easiest but the new formulas do not work as easy. It is worth using though to get the old paint off as much as you can then start with sanding carefully to get to the wood to prep to refinish.

• Barj

Will milk paint be a durable finish for a secretariat I reclaimed after flood of 2016? It was stained very dark with a high gloss poly finish which I have sanded most off leaving some of the stain to sand thru to after painted.

• Creative Moments

Milk paint once cured is the most durable paint around. It does however have a mind of its own over existing finishes so the areas where there is some stain may chip in a sought after antiqued crackle look or you can add extra bond to the milk paint to give more stickability.

There are many milk painted pieces with tutorials on my blog,