DIY Vertical Shoe Storage From Two Crib Rails

$10

"I have too many shoes...said no one ever!" In actuality, I have a lot of shoes with limited space to store them. This shoe storage unit, made from recycled crib parts, makes use of under utilized wall space to store those shoes.
There are two projects in this video. Skip to time code 1:39 to see this tutorial.
We are starting with one of the sides of the crib. The decorative spindles on this Jenny Lind crib makes the first step really easy.
The first step is to cut the rails from spindles. We cut on the first decorative "bump" so we didn't need to mark the cut or measure! That tool we are using is like a mini circular saw. It's a Dremel Saw-Max. It's a versatile tool and it's not scary to use! We did both sides. (This is what we did with the cut off spindles.)
Next, we painted the cut off edges. We did not paint the rail parts as the original finish was intact and in good condition. We hot glued some "bling" onto the cut off edges just for fun!
Before adding the "bling" we cut the rails so they are each 23" long. Each rail will hold three pairs of shoes.
We cut a 1"x12" board to 37" long and painted it. We marked the location of the rails which are 10" apart. We glued and brad nailed them into place.
The board with the attached rails is screwed into a stud on the closet wall.
The shoes hang easily over the pegs. We left one peg open as we found it was easier to remove and hang the shoes that way. This unit holds 12 pairs of shoes.
Here's a closeup.
You can even hang shoes that have a strap on this.
You can keep up with all Mother Daughter Projects by subscribing to our newsletter! Please join our community. Sign up here.

Mother Daughter Projects

• Sharon Fiscus

What did you do with the rest of the rails?

• Pampam

Why did you place the rails on that blue board ? I would think the rails could be just put on the wall but perhaps I’m missing the purpose of the blue board.

• Mother Daughter Projects

Your reply was perfect! It would have been difficult to attach the rails directly to the wall which is why we used the board. The extra space was just a happy bonus! ~Vicki

• Myrna Roy Collins

I guess I will have to look for an old crib to add to my projects. Very wonderful idea.

• Maggie

Very inspiring, am going to use it in an outside laundry room to have small items which do not go in the dryer