Farmhouse Milk-jug Wall Hanging

$4
1 Day

I have seen these everywhere! The prices range, but I knew I could re-create this for only a few bucks. I knew I wanted something to brighten up my bathroom and bring a little more of that modern rustic feel. This was mainly inspired by the jugs from Dollar Tree, which I love that store! It took me one night to create and I just love the results.

Materials

For this project, I used three boards I had cut from Lowe’s. That’s the greatest thing, they will cut them right in the store! I bought one 8ft board which cost around $3, and had it cut into 4 2ft sections. I ended up using 3, but can always use the other for future projects. At home, I stained two of the boards with Minwax Wood Finish in Golden Oak. I only stained those once, to create a softer look. The board in the middle I stained a few more times until I thought it was enough of a contrast. I did let those dry for a few hours.

Once the boards were dry, I attached them in the back with painters sticks. Like I said, this project was on a budget! I used a few smaller screws I had from Home Depot. I also look the hanger off of an old photo frame I was no longer using. Perfect! This whole step for almost free!

Once the boards were attached, I added the milk jugs I found from Dollar Tree. To create the white effect, I just filled them with an ounce of white wall paint and ran it around on the inside until the glass was completely covered! The great thing about using wall paint, was that it dried so fast. I was able to use these in no time. The next step I wish I would have taken a photo of! I used galvanized steel from Lowe’s. These are tacking strips, you see these used a lot for hanging pipes. I cut two strips and soaked them in toilet bowel cleaner overnight. It’s amazing the results you get! Aged steel overnight. I just used toilet bowl cleaner I found at Dollar Tree. So I assume any will work, just don’t forget to wear gloves! Once the strips had aged, I just bent them around the jugs, just enough under the lip so I knew they wouldn't slip when hung. I attached them with the same small screws from the back.

I love the final product! This was such a fun and easy project. In total, the materials for this cost around $4. I did have the stain, the screws and the toilet bowl cleaner already, so that helped a bit. But honestly, a couple things from the hardware store and presto! A new farmhouse inspired wall hanging for my bathroom! It was so simple anyone can do it. Hope you enjoy! Follow me on Instagram @justinwray for new DIY projects every week!

• Donna P

How thick is the boards?

• Justin Beiter

About an inch I believe. I just chose the cheapest, roughest looking wood Lowe’s had. 😊

• Trina

What kind of toilet bowl cleaner?

• Debbie

Do the milk jars tilt out at all or is the strapping around the neck intended to be loose?

• Deborah

If the bottom of the bottle did tilt out a little you could probably use a dab of adhesive.