Jute Rope Vases

$15
1 Day

I come across these all the time in stores like TJ Maxx and Homegoods! They are so beautiful to have around the house. They make such great space-fillers; the perfect touch of natural beauty. I didn’t want to have to pay the hefty price, so after I did a little searching, I found the perfect recipe!

I used almost all products from Dollar Tree minus the smaller jute rope. I found this at Joann Fabric’s, originally around $6, I got it for $3 with a coupon. The best! I created two of these vases. You will need 4 pots. I wanted two different sizes, so I went with 2 smaller and 2 larger pots. You will need about 6 of the decorative nautical rope packs. This was a little hard to find, my Dollar Tree is unfortunately not always the best at stocking things. I did however find an un-opened box of them on another shelf though, jackpot! I also bought the glue sticks and the duct tape from the Dollar Tree. You will use a TON of glue sticks, so stock up on those. I probably used at least 5 packs.

What you want to do to start is to take two of your pots and cut the base off. One in each size. The plastic is pretty easy to cut with a box cutter, just be careful! I wasn’t too concerned with the top edge, as it will be covered in rope, and you can build it up around to give it a more finished look.

Once you’ve cut one of your pots in each size, you want to duct tape them together. I tried hot glueing them, but it just didn’t stick. Place both of the tops of the pots together and just start taping around the seam. An extra set of hands really helps for this step! Don’t worry about it being perfect, as this will also be completely covered with rope.

Once you’ve taped your pots together, starting at the bottom, start hot glueing the rope layer by layer. This was the fun part for me! A great activity when watching a movie or YouTube. This did take some time and creativity! To start and finish each section of rope, I just cut the rope at an angle and hot glued it to the layer bellow it. It takes a couple of practice runs, and burnt finger tips, but by the end you’ll be an expert! To close the top, I just kept wrapping the rope around on to the inside. I went maybe three inches down. That way when you are looking at the vase you can’t see the cut top and it gives it a more finished look. It also gives the appearance of a thicker vase.

I added some fake plants that I got on sale from Michaels, and there you have it! These are great, depending on the pot size, you can make them as larger or small as you need to fit your space! These stand about 2 and 3 ft tall and look wonderful in our entryway. Such a cheap and easy project, with such beautiful results. Hope you enjoy! Follow me on Instagram @justinwray for new DIY projects every week!

• Heje

Is there anything to hold the plants higher in the pots or is there enough bulk in the plants to hold them up on their own? The look is very nice, looks easy to do and adds a nice detail to their location.

• Justin Beiter

Thank you! These plants were very light and the bulk held them up, so I didn’t even have to worry about that. 😊

• Don48698337

I'd like that on my porch but the wind would blow them off. I have extra clay pots - course you can't cut them. I could still do it but anyone have an idea what I could put on that flat top to either decorate or to make it into a table to sit a package on while freeing hands up while unlocking the door?

• Judi

Filling the bottom pot with sand or graven would give it more stability.