How to Make a GINORMOUS Charcuterie Board!

$100

I had a client that asked for a 6’ 5” charcuterie board. I had never made one that long but ok...easy enough 😜⚒
I found a long piece of walnut in the shop. I wanted to include the beautiful curl on this end in the handle. I drew a few handle ideas before deciding and cutting it out with a jig saw.
So far, so good.
I also wanted to drill the hole in the center of this knot. One, it already had a little hole in it and two, I thought it would look nice and centered.
Just like an eyeball...or planet. Perfect.
I rolled some 120 grit sand paper to sand the hole out.
Then, I mixed up some 2 part epoxy and tinted it black for the big knot.
Once the epoxy set up, I finished the bottom and sides with poly.
Now to finish the top. I start by scraping the epoxy off so I don’t waste so much time sanding.
Then I sanded the top with 60, 80 and 120.
I love this wipe on/wipe off finish for cutting boards and tables, ESPECIALLY working in a dusty shop and/or garage!!
The walnut looks awesome as per usual. One of my favorites!
In all it’s 6’ glory😍😜 Easy project to do with minimal tools!!

To see more: //www.sawdustandwhiskey.com

• Gretchen

Is it safe to eat from? Is the sealant you use free from chemicals?

• LindaH

Randall, I looked it up (didn’t know either). Here’s what I found: Charcuterie (pronounced "shahr-ku-tuh-ree") is the art of preparing and assembling cured meats and other meat products. But, many people use the term charcuterie to refer to an assortment of meats that are paired with different accompaniments, such as toast, fruit, cheese, and sauces. If you want to offer charcuterie on your menu, there are a handful of basics to understand first, from identifying some of the most popular types of charcuterie, to what makes a really impressive completed board.

• Randal

ok I must be pretty dumb or at least not very up to date, but what precisely is a charcuterie board, and what purpose does it have?

• Katie Stephens
      11 minutes ago

Google it, you will be impressed. There are pictures of different ones. Basically a place to put lots of foods out for an event.