Quick Tip on Fixing Bleed Through on Chalk Painted Furniture and Decor

$5

Do weird spots show up when chalk painting furniture or decor? Here’s a quick tip to to fix it!

Has this happened to you?

Good thing is that “bleed through” happens after one coat of paint. And most of the time, 2 coats are needed anyway!

When chalk painting furniture, I like to paint one coat and let it dry for a few hours to see what pops up before applying a second coat.

Even though most chalk paints don’t require sanding or priming, sometimes you have to smooth out scratches or marks before painting and primer doesn’t always block the bleed through.

Sanding can cause the natural oils of the wood to pop though in spots. That’s what happened in this case.

Here’s my solution!

If you notice some spots pop up, just spray this directly on the area. No need to spray the whole piece.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

I’m not very good at spray paint. But seriously, all you need is a single coat in the problem area.

If you have an uneven spray and it creates a thick layer, just take a paper towel and level it off quick.

Chalk paint is a matte finish and helps soften a lot imperfections, but you would be able to see that ripple of spray paint if it’s too thick.

After the crystal clear enamel dries completely, it’s safe to paint your second coat. Here you can see that it took care of that round area of bleed through.

I hope this helps you with your next project if you are faced with this issue!

Don’t forget to follow me on my social media to stay up to date on my latest projects! The link is posted! 😊

Here’s the before.

During. This is the base coat after all the bleed through had been fixed.

And the after!

To see more: https://linktr.ee/r.e.picks

• Sally

so it looks like that spot is sanded anyway? Did you sand it and THEN spray it with the clearcoat or is this picture of when you wiped it with a paper towel?

• Re-picks

There was a scratch there and I had to blend it in. But bleed through happens with or without sanding. The marks you’re seeing are from taking the paper towel and wiping off the heavy areas. (I mentioned that in one of the pictures)

• Lenore

This is absolutely lovely 😊! I too would like to know how and when the colors were applied to the main color? 

• Re-picks

Hello! This is just a post about fixing some problem areas with bleed through.

I plan on posting a project on painting specifically. But basically, you’ll paint a base coat, fix any problem areas and touch those spots up. I use DIY paint and Paint pixie brushes to achieve this look, that is a big help! It’s just a lot of colors and a lot of blending. If you have any questions, feel free to contact my on my social media pages. The link is posted. Thank you!

• Crystal Dillehay

Where did all the other colors come from? Did you later them and then sand or used a brush or something?

• Lisa West

Whay a pretty dresser. Wonderful job. Thank you for sharing all that you have come across fixes projects etc

• Kathy Cornman
    Yesterday

Thanks for the tip. I am painting a laminated DVD rack. I'm going to use chalk paint and was afraid it won't adhere.