Mudroom Makeover: Creating Storage in a Small Space

$200

If you have kids and an entryway, you probably are in need of more storage. My mudroom was a disaster. My #1 goal for my mudroom makeover was to create more storage options, especially storage options that hide clutter. Therefore, for this mudroom makeover, I decided to focus on three main projects: 1) Refresh the paint 2) Refinish old metal lockers to use for storage and 3) Create wall art that doubles as a coat rack with hangers low enough for little kids. If you like this project and want to explore other home DIY projects I've been working on, head over to my blog at .

Here's the "Before" picture, showing you the disaster of items that filled our very plain and boring mudroom...but not for long!

Step 1: Paint the walls a bright, fresh white color. I used a large 18-inch roller to get the job done quickly.

Step 2: Find some old metal lockers, likely from Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist. Don't worry if they have a little rust on them.

Step 3: Remove rust with a wire brush or hand sander. You do not have to do a perfect job of this. Simply remove any flaky rust.

Step 4: Clean off the lockers with TSP cleaner. You will want to remove all dirt and grease from your lockers to prep them for paint.

Step 5: Tape off any areas that you do not want painted. 

Step 6: Prime and paint the lockers. I used Rust-Oleum Stops Rust Universal Bonding Primer and Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch Ultra Cover paint. I used a very soft Purdy paintbrush to try to minimize brush strokes. If you are able to paint outdoors in temperatures above 50 degrees Fahrenheit, I recommend using spray paint instead to get the best finish on your lockers.

Step 7: Add felt pads to the bottom of the legs of your lockers to prevent scratches on the floor. I bought sheets of felt pad material and cut them to the size of the legs.

Now that my lockers were done, I moved on to my wall art that doubles as a coat rack.

Step 8: Start cutting your wood boards using a miter saw and table saw. I encourage you to create a unique design for your wall art! However, if you want to replicate mine, here are all the measurements and angles for each board. First cut a 2'x4' piece of underlayment down to 3' by 18" using a table saw. Next cut two 18" long boards from one 1x4 4' pine board. Thirdly, cut the following boards from five 1x2 4' pine boards: For the top section of the wall art, two boards cut at 90 degrees on one end and 40 degrees on the other end with lengths of 14 1/4" and 11 1/2". Also, two boards cut at 40 degrees on one end and 55 degrees on the other end with lengths of 6 1/4" and 11". Additionally, one 13 3/8" board cut at 40 degrees on both ends. For the middle section of the wall art, three boards cut at 90 degrees on one end and 40 degrees on the other end with associated lengths: 9 3/4", 7 15/16", 6 1/8". Also, two 14 1/4" boards cut at 40 degree angles on both ends. For the bottom section of the wall art, three 9 3/8" boards cut at a 90 degree angle on both ends and one 12 3/16" board cut at a 40 degree angle on both ends.

Step 9: As you cut the boards, arrange them on the piece of underlayment. Use wood glue to glue them down as you go.

Step 10: Once all your main pieces are glued down, create a frame for your art. Do this by cutting 1x2 boards at 45 degrees on each end. Two should be 37 3/8" long and two should be 19 1/2" long.

Step 11: Prior to attaching your frame to your wall art, paint it with Rust-Oleum Chalked Ultra Matte paint. Use a soft Purdy paint brush to minimize brush strokes.

Step 12: Mark with a pencil and drill holes for where your coat hooks will go. Pay careful attention to your unique coat hooks and how they need to be attached.

Step 13: Spray the entire piece and the frame pieces with Matte Finish Polycrylic Spray. Apply two coats. This will protect the piece from water damage from coats hanging on the coat hooks.

Step 14: Attach the frame to the wall art using wood glue, clamps and a nail gun. Ensure that you insert nails into the corners to hold it tightly together. Feel free to insert nails in other places to further secure the frame to the art.

Step 15: Attach the coat hooks using their associated screws and a drill.

Step 16: Attach D ring hangers to the back of your piece. Hang your wall art coat rack on the wall. Be careful to use appropriate hanging materials for the weight of your item and the type of wall.

My mudroom looks 100% different than it used to! All the coats, scarves, bags and shoes are stored in the lockers and are therefore, out of sight. We now have a coat rack for my son to hang his coat on by himself. If you're looking for more storage and organization in your entryway or mudroom, I highly recommend doing a similar mudroom renovation!Want another option for a coat rack? Head over here for a tutorial on how to make a rustic farmhouse-style coat rack perfect for your entryway.