DIY Vent Hood Storage

$10

Hello! We recently learned we will be adding a babe to our family (yay!!!), so we’ve been looking for ways to add storage around our small home! A while back, I took off the cabinet doors above our microwave and covered the space with a decorative cover (shown below) that didn’t function, but now we’ve decided to make it useful with some hinges!

You can see how I built the vent hood cover here.

The first thing we did was unscrew the cover from the frame.

Then we added two of our old hinges from the cabinet doors that I took off previously to the top of the cover on the inside. We knew we would need to countersink the hinges a bit for the cover to sit flush with the side of the frame though, so we traced around each hinge with a pencil and took them back off.

Then we brought the cover down to my wood shop in our basement and used the router to cut out the little areas where our hinges will go. We used a 1/4” straight bit and set the depth to just under 1/8”.

It looked like this when we were done!

The hinge is countersunk just enough that it won’t cause a gap now.

To make the cover easier to open, I also ordered these gas struts from Amazon.

The directions for the gas struts include some measurements you need to follow for your specific install, so we followed those and they work perfectly!

To see more fun DIY projects, check out my Instagram!

I filled the old screw holes and it looks so good!

31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers

To see more: https://www.instagram.com/craftingupcuteness/

• Gabrielle Falk

If you fill up the vent space above the microwave with 'stuff', won't you be impeding proper air flow above the microwave? You always have to have an amount of air space around a microwave, and it seems to me, that using this space for storage, you are hindering such air flow?

• Mary Frances Young Fleming

If you already have a cabinet yours was already created with storage. I always stored dry cereal, flour, sugar etc in mine. Anything you don't have a place for but need close by can be stored there. Not for fresh vegetables or fruit. Not for cereal if you don't use it up often.

• Short

What exactly are you storing there

• Eliaonora Danelian

Looks grate , but personally me I wouldn't put food up there or anything ease flammable. And thats just me:) Congrats on your upcoming new addition!

• Terre Tulsiak

I like the planks on the front of the bar too.