Up Cycled Animal Cracker Bear Jug

$10

If you’re a parent, then you’re probably familiar with the old Stauffer’s animal cracker bear jug. They’re a staple for kid snacks (at least in my kids schools). They’ve always been for sale on an end cap of the toddler section in the grocery store. You can also find them in the snack section next to all the other cracker snacks. I’ve thrown away many of these jugs…..now I wish I had not. You won’t believe how I’ve reused the animal cracker bear jug and what we’re using it for now!
Pictured above is what it looks like at the store (minus a few eaten animal crackers). Isn't the packaging cute? It was dying for a fun makeover.There are so many different ways to repurpose this animal cracker bear jug. I ultimately decided to repurpose my animal cracker jug into a piggy bank for my kids AND a small toy storage.
The first thing to do is clean up the animal cracker jug. Remove the animal crackers and wash the inside really well and then remove the stickers from the outside. You don’t necessarily have to remove the stickers. You could paint over them. That is your preference.
I’ve chosen to use  spray paint. I thought it would be the easiest way to get a seamless solid look without brush strokes.
After you are done spray painting, decide where to cut the hole in the lid for the "piggy bank." I used a drill with a large drill bit and made large holes next to each other. I then took a skill saw and cut out the area where the holes were.
I started with the center hole and worked my way out.I then added a little ribbon around his neck and spray painted the lid a dark color. I can't forget about the googely eyes! I think that's my daughters favorite part of it.Now look at my up cycled animal cracker bear jug!
At first we used it for a piggy bank. My daughter got tired of that pretty quick and decided she would stuff all of her "Shopkins" in it.
Either way I love it! Have you ever repurposed something from the pantry? Happy Crafting! https://craftingwithkids.net/animal-cracker-bear-jug-reused-into-piggy-bank-and-toy-storage/

Crafting with Kids

• Charmaine

Love! I was thinking maybe some chalk paint on the circle in the front so they could have their name on it or the name of what is in it.

• Nan Lickteig

I say chalk board paint the belly and put the childs name there.