Asked on Jan 31, 2020

How can I jazz up or change an office drop ceiling?

Johnavallance82Carrie @ Curly Crafty MomDeb K
+8

How do you upgrade or change a drop ceiling with the standard box lights?

• GrandmasHouseDIY

Hi Kim, paint is always an option, you can paint the tiles one color and the surrounding frame another. I've seen basements where they painted out the entire drop ceiling in black matte paint and it gave it a really cool industrial look.

• Redcatcec

I have seen light box covers with a scene on them...tropical, beach. ..try Amazon.

• Lifestyles Homes

If you paint the tiles, be careful to not saturate them as they will break down and sag if done in place. So take them out and lay them on the floor to paint and let them dry on the floor.

The grid will rust at the cut edges when painted with latex paints & if you can ventilate the area properly, I would at least seal the cuts with an enamel.

You can buy new tiles in all kinds of textures & colors and I would spend some time looking at both USG’s & Armstrong’s websites for ideas

• Bushra

We spray painted for us in the basement. It was getting awfully yellowish.

• Agnes Chrzanowska

Depends what room that ceiling is .. Please provide more details

• Laura Cooper

You can replace the tiles for an upgrade. I really like the new drop ceiling tiles that look architectural

• I've seen more architectural type tiles if you're able to replace them.

• Dwp7470b

You take out the Panels and Spray paint the metal, after you do, you can also spray paint the Panels too. It looks like a New Drop Ceiling when you're through.

• Deb K

Hi Kim, you can paint it, and/or stencil it!

• Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom

Maybe paint it a color that is different from the walls/an accent color?

• Johnavallance82

Hi Kim,

You could always add Contact to the under surface or use a glass paint. You could surround them with frames and PAINT THE FRAMES. Hang cristal's, or decoupage them etc. Take out the light fittings and have string lights or individual fittings, or go for a Luminated ceiling....