Making a Piece of Wood Into a Photo Board

$24

I'm sure if you browse Pinterest like I do you may have seen a few of these picture boards. I thought they were pretty cool and thought I would find an inexpensive way to create my own. My sister just became a first time Grandma and has a ton of pictures already of her beautiful grandson, so I wanted to give her something she could display them on and this was perfect.
Initially I was going to buy a piece of plywood and cut it for my sign , but upon browsing Michaels one day I came across this unfinished sign calling my name.
This is the back of the sign I wanted everyone to see as it has hooks and hangers already on it so you can use it vertically or horizontally. The best part is you don't have to buy these extras as they are already attached and the board itself is the perfect length and width for any sign. No cutting !!
So my first step is to stain the wood. I am using a stain in Jacobean by Minwax. I find it easier to apply stain with a lint free cloth. Using a pair of disposable gloves dip end of cloth in stain and apply to wood , rubbing back and forth til you have reached the desired color. If you want it darker simply add more stain.
So here is the board stained. It only took one coat.
Next I took a piece of chalk and using a level drew a line and using the chalk wrote the words Grandma's Brag Board. I use chalk because it can be wiped off if you make a mistake and start over.
Once I got my letters written I then took a paint marker and went over the chalk words. I went over them 3 times to get the desired color.
So here it is complete. Once dry you can take a wet cloth with some soap and water and remove any chalk residue.
I found this great clothespin photo holder at Dollarama. It includes wire, and magnetic clothespins also suction cups (but I will not be using them).
I will be using cup hooks to attach the wire to.
Determine where you want your hooks and screw into the board. Repeat on the other side. Place your wire over the hooks. I own a printer so I printed off my pictures I was going to use.
So here is my Brag Board complete. I love how it turned our and I am sure my sister will love it too. This has been one of the easiest projects I have created thanks in part to the pre cut board with hooks and the little photo kit. The whole thing cost me less than $24.00 to make.

15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty

• Ashley
    Ashley

Does writing over the chalk cause the paint marker to mess up or act as a barrier between the board & marker?

• Melanie
      Melanie

Hi Ashley, no it doesn't cause the paint marker to act up. I just use it because it is easy to see when using dark wood and easy to wipe off if you make a mistake as opposed to using a pencil etc. The chalk does not ruin the mark and helps with the flow of paint.