How to Create a Feature Wall With a Box of Reclaimed Wood

$350
1 Day

My house wish list is long on wants and short on cash. While prioritizing projects for our pending empty nest, we set our eyes on our basement. I just completed this one-hour corner home office project, when I realized the room needed a little something with a "wow" factor on the opposite wall. This is how to create a feature wall with reclaimed wood.
To appreciate the after of the feature wall you have to check out the same wall before we added planks! Same wall!
This feature wall update came together when I found these weathered, hardwood boards at Home Depot. The wood boards provided an authentic, reclaimed barn wood appearance without having to find a dilapidated barn.
The only math needed for this wall was when we measured the width and height of the feature wall. We started in the bottom right corner and worked to the left and up. Because we had an "open wall" on the left side of the feature wall that became our endpoint.When I found it was cheaper to plank a feature wall with wood boards than to refinish/install wood floors, the feature wall project moved to the top of our DIY wish list.
On a Saturday, in between work and travel, we nailed this feature wall project. The project took less than seven hours, cost under $300 and added a layer of warmth to a room that needed a cozy update.
The only prep for the planked wall was to paint the wall before we installed the wood planks. The install instructions suggested to paint the walls a darker color to disguise any gaps between the planks. We just used what we had on hand.
Supplies:
  • table saw/chop saw
  • nail gun (+ air compressor (my husband gave me on Valentine's Day)

The best part were the cuts were uncomplicated. No mitered corners or trim.
We worked from bottom to top.
This project is forgiving. The planked wall added much needed warmth (scroll back up to the before photo). We love it!

Everyday Edits

• Dwayne

Did you use glue or nails to put the boards on the wall? Did you seal the planks with anything? If you stained the boards, do you stain them before you put them on the wall? What color stains did you use?

• Everyday Edits

HI Dwayne, We used a nail compressor; no adhesive. We did not seal the planks (they were a finished reclaimed wood product). We did not need to stain them. We found the product at Home Depot, but you could use reclaimed wood from another source; that might require a seal and stain. Thank you!

• Susan

About how big is your featured wall? Just trying to figure the cost of per box approximately. If it cost roughly $300 to do.

You did an amazing job! I love it! I thought I had seen everything in Home Depot yet somehow have missed these, that’s my go to store. Thanks for all the great advice.

• Everyday Edits

Hi Susan, The wall measurements are 9' x 10.6 ish' in width. We removed the baseboard on that wall and took the planks to floor.

It was done in a day and totally transformed that room/guest room/home office. Thank you! Laura at Everyday Edits dot co (like Colorado).

• JOANN

I would like to have it DONE.just would planks???

• Everyday Edits

HI Joann, I used prepackaged planks. You can also use wood flooring. Just planks and a nail gun! Thanks, laura

• Lisa Elford
    14 hours ago

it looks absolutely amazing!! Job well done!

• Everyday Edits
    23 minutes ago

Thank you Lisa! We love it! And, we love the space in the basement! Totally warmed up the room! laura