Whisk Something Together For The Birds

$5

Spring is just around the corner, and birds will be busy building their nests. Give them a helping hand by providing things that they can use while nesting. And, while you’re helping out our feathered friends, you’ll also be adding something pretty to your yard.
Supplies: Wire Whisk, Moss, Burlap or Other Natural Fiber Fabric, Straw, Twigs, Dead Leaves, Loose Wool or Cotton, Twine, Beads. Note: Do not use drier lent because it may contain chemicals that are harmful to birds. Also, refrain from using yarn or string, as they may get tangled around the birds and cause harm.
Pull apart the wire of the whisk just wide enough to insert the moss.
Layer the straw, twigs, leaves, and fabric strips over the moss.
Fill the remainder of the whisk with wool.
Tie twine to the whisk and add some beads.
Tie the twine around the branch of a tree in your yard.
Check to see when the nesters need refilling. Some birds, like Goldfinches, build their nests as late as June, so continue to add elements to the whisk as the birds empty it out.

16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
Virginia B

• Denise Camille Frye

What a wonderful idea! One could put anything in there! If only I had a tree to hang stuff in! Any ideas on making one?

• Sherryl Sumner

Birds don't mind what level things hang out on offering them goods for their survival. Just keep in mind they have predators which include larger birds and anything on the ground which might be quick enough to grab them. If you have local cats (or maybe even dogs) it wouldn't be a good idea to use something like I have for my hanging plants: a very long iron stake which goes into the ground and stands about 6ft. It curls to hold things but they can hang low depending on what they are. If you do have a reasonably safe yard you can hang things or use hooks on your home which would be higher up (ask if you rent to make changes). On our front porch we have hanging plants as well as hummingbird feeders 😎 Our other local birds often frequent our iron porch railings just for fun! Hanging something like a whisk full of nesting supplies (I have used a suet holder) would fit fine on a porch too.

• Kris

Great idea! Thanks for your share.

• Diamond

I put the fur from when I brush my cats and dogs. Birds seem to love it- Specialiy the fur from my white Shepard!