Asked on Feb 1, 2020

How do I clean up an antique wood dresser?

Becky at Flipping the FlipJohnavallance82Cindy
+11

I have a gorgeous, solid oak, serpentine fronted dresser passed down from my GG Grandmother. I want to "restore it" but not refinish it. What is/are the best products to use?

• Deb K
    Deb K

Hi Michelle, this is a fabulous video on cleaning up an old wood dresser! Hope it helps you out!

youtube.com/watch?v=RuEzj14QeGw

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com
    FrugalFamilyTimes.com

I love using Restor-a-finish. It’s amazing to improve wood finishes and get rid of imperfections.

• Michelle Dodson
    Michelle Dodson

Thank you!

• Megan
    Megan

Hi Michelle! Tung oil and Hemp oil work great on antique wood! :)

• Megan
      Megan

Oh no! It has worked the best for me when the wood is somewhat raw and worn. Where the poly or any coating is gone from it being so old. I wouldn't put tung oil on a surface that already had poly.

• Cynthia H
    Cynthia H

Gently clean it first with a barely damp microfiber cloth. It often amazes me at the buildup on old pieces of furniture. Buff it dry with a clean microfiber cloth. I have a tiger oak dresser that looks amazing after cleaning it this way. Someone recently recommended Beeswax to me, but I haven't used it yet.

• Cindy
    Cindy

Hi Michele. I recommend using Murphy's Oil soap to clean your antique dresser. It's made to clean the wood, and the Oil will condition the wood. Use according to the package. Good luck Michele.

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Hi,

Beeswax everytime if you want to keep the aged look but also want it to sing again..........I've just used it on a victorian table with fancy frame.....Good luck!

• Restor-a-Finish or Feed-n-Wax are great. I’d steer clear of things that might yellow like tung oil or build up and dull like an oil soap. A little elbow grease and minimal products will go a long way.