How to Make Flower Lights Out of Recycled Plastic

$30
Advanced

I love to recycle things into art projects! And recycling plastic drinking bottles couldn’t be more fun. You’ll feel good about helping the earth while creating something wonderfully creative. With this tutorial you’ll learn how to make beautiful, colorful flowers that are strung on a string of lights. It adds glowing color to wherever you hang them. These would be super pretty in your garden or for an evening barbecue.
Beautiful, aren’t they? I like to use them to add a little interest and color to my outdoor spaces.
Start by cutting the bottoms off your plastic bottles. I cut my plastic bottles into this particular flower shape by following along the curves of each side.
Next, spray paint them with bright colors. You can go for spring hues like I chose, or you can even try to mix it up with metallics. During fall or Christmas, coordinating colors would make an awesome addition to your holiday decor.
Don’t forget to add leaves! I cut oval shapes out of the sides of the water bottles for my leaves.
To make the shapes more organic looking, (so that they don't look like cut up water bottles), melt the plastic with a heat gun to get amazing contours.
You also need to melt the flowers a bit with the heat gun to make them look more realistic as well. But you don't need to heat them for long. They melt quickly.
Lastly, drill a hole in the center using a Dremel tool or drill.
Glue in the lights with hot glue and you're ready to hang them up!
And ta da! Look at how beautiful they look outside!

Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
Heather

• Cary

What did you do with the leaves?

• Heather

That is correct. I glued them along the string of lights

• Jackie

Really nice. Do you have pictures of using the heat gun? Do you turn them inside out? What is the picture of the leaf in the white bowl? Do you think you could use spray paint on them?

• Heather

I think I might have used two types of plastic bottle, so they’re lines and indents were different. I think that may be what you’re seeing.

• Patti

great job !!!👍😄

• Jen Peterson

Yes

• NightNurse

I'm blowed away. Is it really that simple? How clever of you! Thank you for sharing. Im going to have some fun this Summer thanks to you!

• Heather

I can't say it's a "simple" project. has quite a few steps. There is a more in depth tutorial on my blog here. And thank you for the nice comment.