Asked on Feb 3, 2020

How can I clean out a smelly shower drain?

Chloe CrabtreeBetsyDwp7470b
+8

• Kathy Gunter Law

Remove cover, clean out any hair blocking. 1/2 cup baking soda and vinegar, cover. Boil water and pour down after 10 minutes.

• A.Pence

1 cup of baking soda+1 cup of white vinegar. Mix together quickly and pour down the drain. It will remove any clogs, and any smells;)

• Chas' Crazy Creations

I would try baking soda and I wrote a post about unclogging drains. In it it shows what to put down a drain and this might help with the odors too - https://chascrazycreations.com/unclog-drains-toilets-with-out-plunging/

• Morgan McBride

Try using white vinegar to help with the smell.

• I use vinegar and then I stop up the tub so no water can get down and rinse it away for a bit. Works like charm.

• Dwp7470b

Scrub it with Steel Wool. Pour some Drano down when you are done.

Hi Martie: You will need this:

A small box of baking soda

1/2 cup or so of vinegar

1 quart of really hot water

Directions

1. Bail out any standing water .
    2. Dump about 1/2 of a box of dry baking soda down the drain.
    3. Get your plunger or stopper ready and at your side, and be prepared to hold it down tightly.
    4. Put a cloth in the overflow hole tightly, it's usually near the top of the sink or by the front of a bath tub.
    5. Following the baking soda, pour 1/2 cup of vinegar down the drain.
    6. Immediately after you pour it in, plug the drain with the plunger or stopper, or whatever you have that can seal the opening, covering the drain hole completely so nothing can escape.
    7. HOLD TIGHT!The interaction of the vinegar and baking soda will cause a “mini volcano” that will come up and out of the drain if you don’t keep it down there, to bust out your clog.
    8. After the initial “volcano” subsides, leave the baking soda and vinegar mixture in the drain for about 30 minutes. While you are waiting, boil a tea kettle full of water.
    9. After 30 minutes, remove the stopper or plunger and slowly pour most of the hot water down the drain.
    10. This should take care of the clog. You may have to do it twice, but usually not.
    11. Use the rest of the hot water to make a cup of tea to congratulate yourself on a job well done! :)

• J. Jacobs

Right on the money and I love step #11. I'm doing that next time.

BTW, I use this method on kitchen and bathroom sinks as well.

• Chloe Crabtree

Dump a good handful of baking soda into the drain, let sit (don't run any water) for 15 minutes, then pour 1/4 to 1/2 cup white vinegar down. Watch the bubbles, hear the pops and fizz, and let it sit for another 15 minutes. Then, boiling water and voila! It will be right as rain … at least for about six weeks.