Asked on Feb 3, 2020

How do I clear up a slow drain in a bathroom sink?

Johnavallance82Dwp7470bBetsy
+7

My sink drain in the bathroom is very slow to drain, I've tried baking soda & vinegar & hot water but it doesn't seem to last!!

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com

You may need to resort to draino. It’s often hair in the drain in bathrooms and needs tougher stuff to dissolve it.

• Kathy Gunter Law

If it isn’t lasting you may have some serious build up I would try snaking the drain ir take apart and clean before using chemicals. If you have to go chemicals, check out zep line at Lowe’s.

• Gk

I would try a flexible snake to get out any debris!

https://www.wikihow.com/Clean-a-Bathroom-Sink-Drain

• Morgan McBride

Can you unscrew or pop out the drain stopper? Then you can scoop out whatever is clogging it.

• I would try a snake before I would resort to the chemicals. They also make a smaller tool, too, as snakes can be hard to manage.

• Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom

When Draino doesn't work on ours after a couple of attempts, my husband will snake it!

Hi Ann: If you can get a really long zip tie, cut slits going down the side, one on the right, one on the left, all the way along to the bottom. Then, tie a string on the top really securely, and tie that around your finger. This will keep it from falling down the drain:) Then, stick it into the drain and jiggle it around and lift it out to see if anything stuck to it. If so, do it a few more times to get as much gunk out as you can.

Then, You will need this:

A small box of baking soda

1/2 cup or so of vinegar

1 quart of really hot water

Directions

1. Bail out any standing water .
    2. Dump about 1/2 of a box of dry baking soda down the drain.
    3. Get your plunger or stopper ready and at your side, and be prepared to hold it down tightly.
    4. Put a cloth in the overflow hole tightly, it's usually near the top of the sink or by the front of a bath tub.
    5. Following the baking soda, pour 1/2 cup of vinegar down the drain.
    6. Immediately after you pour it in, plug the drain with the plunger or stopper, or whatever you have that can seal the opening, covering the drain hole completely so nothing can escape.
    7. HOLD TIGHT!The interaction of the vinegar and baking soda will cause a “mini volcano” that will come up and out of the drain if you don’t keep it down there, to bust out your clog.
    8. After the initial “volcano” subsides, leave the baking soda and vinegar mixture in the drain for about 30 minutes. While you are waiting, boil a tea kettle full of water.
    9. After 30 minutes, remove the stopper or plunger and slowly pour most of the hot water down the drain.
    10. This should take care of the clog. You may have to do it twice, but usually not.
    11. Use the rest of the hot water to make a cup of tea to congratulate yourself on a job well done! :)

Good luck

• Dwp7470b

And it never will last neither. Use Drano or Mr. Plumber. But after you do it, You need to learn a good habit of using a plunger on your drain at least twice monthly. It's easy. And it fixes any clog.

• Johnavallance82

Hello,

Where does it drain out too? Is there a blockage in the drain or gulley that can be removed? Maybe the Waste trap under the sink is clogged up somehow. Unscrew it and release the mess, don't forget to place a bucket or bowl under to collect water. If all else fails call a plumber! Best wishes...