Custom Rustic Window Sign

$10

Pick up an old glass window from your local thrift store, home improvement salvage store, or family friend and make yourself a custom sign! This is such a versatile project and so easy. These windows are some of my favourite home decor pieces! :)

To start, you will need the following items:

• Window with glass panes intact
  • Window cleaner
  • Paper towels
  • Sharpie marker
  • Clear tape
  • Printer and paper

Give your window a good clean with the cleaner and paper towels.

Next, decide on the saying/text you want on the window. I am going to use "Give us this day our daily bread -Matthew 6:11".

Previously, I've done "Silent night, holy night; all is calm, all is bright" and "eet smakelijk" (a Dutch saying).

Print out the words using a Word Document and cut them out. This took me a few tries to get the size of the text just right to fit the window panes nicely.

Lay out the words how you'd like onto the back of the window facing down. Tape them down to hold in place.

Flip the window over and double check that everything is spaced out the way you want.

With your Sharpie marker, start tracing and filling in the text on the window using your templates.

If you need to make a correction, simply use a damp paper towel to wipe the marker off and start again!

This is what my window looks with all the letters traced! I free-handed the bottom line and redid it a few times after taking this photo. Go over the letters again if you need to fill in some spots or want it to look darker.

Peel the papers from the back once you're satisfied with the way it looks.

Find a spot to hang your window and enjoy! I found these blue shutters at a local thrift store and loved the look of them beside this window!

*Side note: I've had permanent marker sit on windows for months at a time, and have no problem getting it off. Simply spray on window cleaner and wipe it off.

Here is another window I did for our home using the same technique! :)

For more ideas and ongoing projects, follow along on Instagram and Facebook!

Insta: @farmhouse.ongunnshill

Facebook: Lauren Ann Design

~Lauren

Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas

• Ruth Minsk Whitehead
    Ruth Minsk Whitehead

I love this and want to do this project but how can I make it permanent? If I clean the window panels after it’s done It will wipe off. Is There anything I can use on top of the markers to seal the text?

• Gail Cooley
      Gail Cooley

Mod Podge also comes in waterproofing form. You brush (spray) on and let it dry...goes on white dries clear. Let it dry completely. You would need to let it set for about 24-27 days to be completely waterproof. You can still hang your picture up just don’t let it get wet for the 24-27 days, especially if your hanging it outside.

• Larissa Munoz-Crow
    Larissa Munoz-Crow

I love this! May I ask how you hung the window up? I have some and so want to do something like this l but they are so heavy I'm not sure how to hang them!

• Grace Gleason
      Grace Gleason

Be sure you hit at least one stud when you hang it. Otherwise, it won't stay up.

• Jody Price
    Jody Price

what do you use to hang the window?