Adding a Skirt to My Sofa Table Charging Station

$20

The sofa table/charging station I built years ago remains one of my most used pieces of furniture. Seriously, I charge my laptop, my blue tooth ear bud and my phone here practically daily. It is the handiest, easiest, most life changing build I’ve ever made! However, with my new sofa the way I built my little table was no longer going to work exactly. It would no longer be sandwiched so now it had to not only stand on its own but also not look quite so dang ugly because EVERYONE is going to see it!
I moved the table from the back wall (where it used to be behind my old sofa) to beside my new one, creating the "hall" that leads back to the main floor bathroom.But it needed some work before it was ever going to be right in this situation.First, I had to add some support to its legs because though it WOULD balance and stand on its own it would never last if someone bumped it. (And considering this is the highway to my main floor bathroom that just wasn’t going to work.)
I went through a lot of thinking and ideas on how to make a nicer base but the simplest idea turned out to be the best.I checked my workshop and happened to have a piece of barn wood lying around that ended up being the perfect length. I basically just made a TV tray lol by adding the piece of wood to the side of the center leg of my sofa table and then pushing it completely under the couch.No more stability issues! Meaning: I am no longer diving to catch my lamp every time I bump into this table which is practically daily at this point because I am, admittedly, a bit clumsy.I still had the glaring problem of major ugly though. I did NOT build this table to be seen.
I headed to Amazon and picked out a neutral tablecloth that had a fringe along the edge.(I am aware how weird it sounds that I purchased a tablecloth instead of just buying fabric – I looked at shower curtains on Amazon as well. The choices are unlimited, they have finished edges and inexpensive price tags and they also have the added benefit of being stain resistant and durable! The perfect solution for someone who does not sew!)
I cut the tablecloth completely in half the long way and then found the exact center of my table.One staple on either end then one in the middle and then one in the middle of each middle etc. until I had all the pleats I wanted. Such a simple solution! Its the same way I made my guest bedroom bed skirt and  several of my closet doors.
I knew it would be pretty glaring as the first thing you see when you walk into the living room so I went neutral with the fabric. I like the choice I made and think the little tassels are kind of cute.The fabric itself has the feel of drop cloth so even though I washed it and steamed it I could NOT get all the wrinkles out of it and I don’t own an iron so… Fortunately I like that it has a bit of a “rumpled” look.
I think I achieved what I was trying to do here: I covered up the ugly! I also think it sets the tone of a comfy and practical space but also is still kind of pretty!

Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
21 Stunning Wreaths for The 4th of July
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
GrandmasHouseDIY

• Jasmine

2x8s Maybe 2x10 or 12 if you have lamps with big bases in a rectangle pattern would work better. You could also use some middle beams across for stability and make it a shelf as well. The curtain idea is brilliant. I may use it somewhere else. If I I do I’ll send a pic. I also do a lot on the couch as I have spine issues as a disabled vet. Having kids the first two things that come to mind is stability and what happens when drinks are spilled. I would suggest a decorative elevated socket of sorts. May do this idea in the future. If I do I’ll send pics. For those needing extra light you could add a full length mirror turned sideways to reflect the light away from the wall.

• GrandmasHouseDIY

That's a great idea to build in a shelf instead of the legs like I did! That would provide great storage and then plus a curtain it would provide even better storage for things that we don't necessarily want out in the open and seen but need in our living rooms. Thanks for commenting, love to see pics!

• Gerald Jay Neal

Yes, my sofa pushes against the wall and smashes against the outlet. My charging cords get crimped time and time again. I have been trying to fix it and my problem has been solved. Thank you

• GrandmasHouseDIY

Glad this could help you Gerald, I had the same problem and this sofa table was a life saver!