How to Make a Hanging Succulent Planter

$35

This easy DIY hanging succulent planter will brighten up any garden. This project only takes a few supplies, about an hour and is a simple way to display succulents in your outdoor garden.

I am really getting into the succulent game lately. I have always been more of a veggie gardener, it just comes easier to me compared to flower gardening. One thing I love about succulents is how easy it is to find containers to plant them in, you really can plant them in pretty much anything. You don’t have to worry about drainage or the planter overheating, they are such resilient plants that it makes it quite easy to get creative. 

Flash back to a couple months ago when my dad gave me some vintage hanging fruit baskets he found. They were old and probably hadn’t been used in years but immediately my creative brain was spinning, what could I do with these? While passing my growing succulent garden the idea popped of turning them into hanging succulent pots.

The first thing I did was spray paint the fruit baskets gold, they were pretty old and needed a face lift. This is optional but it got me thinking of all the color options, neon pink anyone? After the baskets dried, the process was extremely easy.  

With the baskets hanging pull apart the Spanish moss and line all baskets with a thick layer. This will hold the potting soil in. If you have a lot of moss in your back yard, you can use that instead. It can create a more of a natural look and save some money.

Once the baskets are lined, fill with potting soil to just under the top of the baskets. You don’t want to fill to the top quite yet because you will be digging out small holes for planting.

If you have a succulent garden that has grown some you can transplant using the over growth or purchase new succulents. If you plan to purchase, you will need about 15 individual succulents to fill all three baskets. Dig a small hole in the soil for your first succulent. If you purchased your succulents, loosen the roots slightly with your hands before planting, this will promote root growth. Place the succulent in and cover up with soil. 

Fill the baskets with succulents until they are completely full. I suggest using a variety of different succulents. There are so many different types and colors out there, you could get really creative with the combination you use. I used mostly trailing succulents, which is the type that hangs over the basket and a couple different types of Sempervivum succulents a.k.a chicks and hens.

Once you have planted all of your succulents, water until very moist. Succulents do best when watered until very moist and allowing to dry in between waterings, but until the roots have established, which should take a few days, you will want to keep moist. 

I just love my hanging succulent basket and it has already grown quite a bit. The creeping succulents are starting to flow over the edges and the chicks and hens have grown to be large and blooming.  

3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
Kaylene

• Gail Veilleux

But what do you do when you need to bring them in for the winter? If you water them they will leak all over!

• Jan

would this work with herbs

• Kaylene

Herbs would be a great idea! Creeping herbs would look beautiful.

• Camille Nordwall

Wonder how long until it rusts through... could you coat it with something to prevent rust?

• Kaylene

Mine rusted a little around the chains, but rustoleoum spray paint would work great!

• Mary Coakley

Lovely idea.baskets are.so pretty

• Melin

Excellent idea and so cute, cute, cute! This project really adds a nice touch to a porch, and for color, one could use geraniums instead of succulents ~ they're hardy and can endure just about any type of weather where I live.

Thank you for sharing and inspiring!