Rocking Chair Eye Sore to Front Porch Envied

$45

See the transformation of how this chippy, worn, and beat up chair put me through sweat, tears, the black lung and finally joy.
I have to say, again, I have great friends. They think of me when they have sad furniture they are about to dump - I'm not sure how to take that actually...I am going to take it as a compliment that they have faith in me that I can restore and refresh anything.
Anyway, that is how this rocking chair ended up in my garage. I posted on facebook I was looking for furniture to redo and voila, this beauty ended up on my doorstep a few days later. My friend got it from a thrift store and had painted it and has been in their family photos for over a decade. It was well loved and worn and she no longer had use for it so here it is.
As you can see the paint was coming off in chunks. I thought it would be easy to sand down to the wood but after I broke off about 100 sandpaper strips off my power sander belt and my arm feeling like it was going to fall off from vibrating to death - I was done! I had never stripped anything down (successfully anyway) and when I was expressing my frustration over my Instagram account another friend showed up on my doorstep and handed me a bottle of Citristrip.
If you are stripping wood - this is the stuff to get!! Within minutes it was bubbling off the paint and it did not have heavy fumes - although I still recommend doing this outside or in the garage and open a door just to be safe.
This is what happens after a coat of Citristrip. It bubbles up and you can easily scrape it away.
I was able to get it almost completely down to the original wood. I didn't want to mess with stain and I am all about the chalk paint and it was requested by my purchaser that they wanted a blue rocking chair.
I used about two coats of Blue Steel in the Chalky Chicks Chalk Paint and I ended up going back over some of the grooves and seat with a sander to give a worn look.
From trashed to Envied! Can you believe this before and after?!
This chair took me a lot of sweat, sore arm and shoulder (from sanding), black lung (from the dust), tears of frustration, and finally joy when it was over! This chair puts a smile on my face. It is so rewarding finishing a project that puts you through so many emotions. What projects have put you worked on that you hated to love? I want to hear about it!

• Denise

I have a rocker we were given 42 years ago for our first anniversary. It’s in good shape and it needs only a light sanding for the paint to work well.

My question is that I want to move it from our living room to our front porch, so I need to know what to use to seal the paint for weather proofing it.

Thank you for posting this pretty chair, I’m inspired to make ours look beautiful again!

I await your answers🌸

• Within the Home

You will want to seal it using a polycrylic and if you have a covered porch you can place it under to protect from sun or water that would be ideal. Maybe spray it with a wood sealer after to give it further protection. I would love to see your before and after when you get around to tackling it! Good luck!

• E95656

Love this!