Asked on Feb 5, 2020

How can I fix blinds that the kitten tore up?

FlipturnRedcatcecBetsy
+13

Our kitten decided to use our honeycomb foil insulated blinds as a scratching post and climbing tree. Is there anyway to repair them?

• Dee

You could try repairing it with some fabric but I think they are a goner.

• Vimarhonor

Hello.

That looks like a tough maybe challenging repair. It might be worth trying. If they are to be discarded —what do you have to loose? If you are a perfectionist it might be a waste of time as a repair shadow With sunlight could potentially be a result.

I would use a thinner piece of fabric or paper....for example vellum or parchment -glue a prefolded repair patch to reinforce and support, followed by —I would reverse the shade— so the patched repair is on the exterior view.

The easiest repair would likely be to use medical grade first aid paper adhesive tape...but that might be a more i obvious repair- I would guess. You might consider that.

• Judy

Thanks for the ideas! I'm not a perfectionist; I've had them covered with cardboard to keep her claws off! She still managed to climb up above it and do a little more damage one day. Reversing is a great idea.

• Tinyshoes

Judy...I believe they are beyond repair...sorry!

• Dwp7470b

Yes. You remove the Broken Blinds and adjust the RopeLengthIs. It will be slightly shorter.

• Mogie

You have a naughty kitty (just kidding). The cat needs it's own scrathing post. I sprinkle mine with cat nip to make it extra fun. Also use sisal rope to cover the legs of the post. Cats seem to love to dig their claws into sisal. But the blinds look like they are toast. Sorry!

Hi Judy: Yup, it's a goner :( No repair will ever look good. I'd go with the slat type blinds until kitty grows up, and even that may not be long enough :) My cats love my blinds, vertical, horizontal, curtains, doesn't matter. It says somewhere on them "Climb me!", and they do :( Maybe if you spray your new ones with perfume or cologne, the kitty will leave them along. Don't count on it :) Get a scratching post and some catnip for it, maybe that will help. Good luck, and give kitty a kiss for me :)

• Redcatcec

I would replace them with something the kitten is not interested in, they are beyond any practical good looking repair. The wooden slat blinds maybe an option, or pretty plastic shutters. Maybe a privacy coating for the window, they have them at diy stores and Amazon.

• Flipturn

Trying to glue pieces over the damaged spots will not be effective, as they will only prevent the accordion folds from compressing properly when attempting to raise the blind.