Creating A White Washed/Driftwood Look For A Coastal Style

$100

I came across this gorgeous tall oak serpentine dresser. The wood needed a lot of repairing and therefore I needed to hide all of those filled areas. But, the wood is so pretty, I wanted to still highlight that grain. What better way than to white wash! This look really pops with the deep grained woods. Here's how I did it.....
First, clean your piece! I use Frenchic Furniture Paint's Sugar Soap. This stuff is a great cleaner to use before painting. It gets all the grime, oils, and dirt out without harsh chemicals and an overwhelming smell! That's right, this stuff is nontoxic, and has virtually zero smell! It's totally safe to use indoors. I wipe down the piece with the Sugar Soap, scrub it with a scrubby sponge if it's super dirty, and then wipe down with plain water.
First step when recreating this look is to sand down the wood. If your piece has paint or a thick coat of varnish, you may want to strip it first to cut down sanding time. I wanted a somewhat rough surface, so I didn't do my usual sanding routine. Instead, I started with 80 grit and removed all of the original stain and finish. Then I went to 100 grit to remove any leftover stain, then 150 to even out the surface and stopped here. The higher in grit you go, the more closed the grain will become, and I wanted an open grain for this look. You can see how open and deep the grain is on the piece, perfect for layering!

Go ahead and paint just the frame and sides of the piece. I mixed together a few leftovers that I had laying around (you know, those paints that you used on previous projects, but now there's not enough left to do another project and wasting paint is a major no no, so mix them together and see what you get!), Frenchic's Moody Blue, Grey Pebble, and a touch of Loof to deepen the color. Frenchic Furniture Paint offers great coverage! Barely even needed a light second coat!
Now it's time for the fun stuff, white washing! (Video below) Using a container, mix together paint and water 40/60. The more water you add, the less opaque the wash will be. Then, using a sponge or brush, paint it on, wiping off excess immediately. If you want to take more paint off and it's not coming off with a dry towel, wet the towel a little bit, and remove the paint.
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)
I wanted to make the edges and corners darker than what I showed in the video, so I used my homemade dark grey/black glaze (Frenchic's finishing coat mixed with a bit of the color Panther, a very dark matt grey), and brushed it onto the edges, blending it towards the middle and wiping away any excess. I also added Frenchic's defining wax and more browning wax to add more dimension. This process was done on the top of the dresser as well as all of the drawer fronts
The last step! Using 320 grit sandpaper, I distressed the edges and corners of the painted areas, and took Frenchic's defining wax and applied it to the corners, edges and all of the nooks and crannies to give a worn look
I cleaned up and waxed the drawer sides, then alternated between two coordinating contact papers for the drawer liners to finish off this coastal cutie.
My goal was to make this piece look like it had been sitting on a deck of a beach house for awhile, and I think I came pretty close 😍
You can find everything used to create this beauty as well as prices and shipping information on this piece and so many others in our Etsy shop. Or if you're local to the Jersey shore, save on shipping and head over to our booth 😉
If you'd like to follow our journey and be amongst the first to see our new projects, you can find us on Facebook or Instagram. Our Facebook is linked below 😁
As always, if you have any questions, please feel to reach out or ask below 😉
I hope this tutorial has inspired you to create something beautiful ❤️

30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
These Amazing Vase Ideas Will Blow Your Guests Away!
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized

To see more: https://www.etsy.com/shop/DeerRunRevamps

• Cindy Smith

This piece is absolutely beautiful! Is it for sale? I'd be interested...

• Deer Run Revamps

Thank you so much 😁 This piece is available. You can find all of the details in my Etsy shop. There is a link just below the materials section 😉

• Kathy

Do you do this for customers I have a nice piece but don’t have the timeWould you be interested in doing it

• Deer Run Revamps

Hello! I unfortunately no longer do custom jobs. If you are in my area in New Jersey, there is another woman who does great work, her business is called Lily Pad Designs. Just Google the name and she'll pop up 😉

• Carol de la Fuente

Totally amazing!!! Just gorgeous and I love the colors that you have chosen!!!

• Juels

Absolutely love what you've done. I will attempt this for sure, probably wont turn out as well as yours, but I'll give it a go. Thanks for sharing.