Asked on Feb 5, 2020

How can I block off a doorway to keep cats out of room?

Peggy BurnetteAdrienne Carrie Hubbard | Crafty Little GnomeKathy Gunter Law
+7

I need help trying to find options to block a double doorway to keep cats out of room but still be able for air/heat to circulate between rooms

• Gk

You could try a screen door but if your cats are climbers with claws and are very determined to get into the room you don't want them in I wonder how long that screen door would last! You could try and find a magnetic screen door to fit to see if that would keep the cats out. A cheaper alternative than a wooden screen door.

• Johnavallance82

Hello B,

Tape a net curtain across the entrance or make a frame and fix curtain to it and place that in space between doors........Best wishes.

• Linda Sikut

Hi B,

Here's an idea from someone else who has the same issue. You may need to make a few adjustments to make it work for you, but this is a basic idea. If your cat is a climber, it might just be able to climb up this setup. If that's true, you might be able to attach sheets of plexiglass to the "cat" side so your cat won't be able to get a grip. Wishing you the best.

http://www.thelovelyside.com/2015/04/diy-cat-barrier-for-under-100-see.html

• Em

Get a screen door that will fit the opening and replace the plastic screening with chicken run wire. The cats can't scratch and ruin it and the air circulation is better. My doorways were wide arches so I built a 2 x 4 frame to attach the screen door to and then filled the gaps on the sides with 1/2 round tacked to the frame to keep the cats out.

• Bjhodges

Baby gates

Since cats are climbers and high jumpers I would make a panel out of 1X2 wood firing strips and 1/4" plywood about 4' to 5' high. Make it wide enough to wedge it into the doorway. You could also make it like double doors and hinge them so they can be opened for access. A hook to close them so the cats can't get in. Paint or stain to match the woodwork.

• Kathy Gunter Law

My daughter uses a baby gate. You can easily slide it out of the way or step over it. The one she has is made from lattice.

You could purchase lattice, I'm pretty sure it comes in 4'x8' panels, and frame it to cover the opening. You can get it in wood or plastic.

• Could you install a screen door indoors like you would on the front door of your house?

• Peggy Burnette

Hi B, this is Peggy. When we get a new cat we put it in a room with a screen door, so the other cats can know it is there, and they can't get to each other. After a while we remove the screen and let the cats together, they already know the smells and they get along. I would suggest a screen door that fits your door frame. Good luck.