How To Clean Your Upholstry ! ( MICROFIBER )

$15

Here's how I got the deepest stains out of my couch.

We've had our microfiber couches for about 4-5 years now. The cushions have removable covers and are much easier to clean. The couch arms are pretty bad though! Not going to lie I've been hiding them with throw blankets for a while now. I tried a few different cleaning methods including the rubbing alcohol method for microfiber that I found on pinterest and it turned them even worse. The stains became all blotchy! At this point I was scared to touch them and after a while I got so sick of looking at it I figured I couldn't make it any worse. ( photo above shows how the couch arms looked before I gave them a deep clean.)

Before I jump into sharing the details I want to mention I did use a vacuum to soak up water. Any vacuum to soak up extra water will work because most of the deep cleaning is done by scrubbing the couch with a hard brush. I ended up trying oxi clean to get the stains out and was totally blown away. If you'll be trying this be sure to try it in a less visible area first. Cleaning agents react differently on all fabrics.

I started off by spraying the whole area down with oxi clean ( couch was completely dry) I didn't get it wet with water before hand.

Than I used my hard bristle brush to scrub at the stains.

After the first two steps here's what it looked like. I was a bit concerned about these deep stains that were being stubborn but, I went ahead and sprayed it down with oxi clean again. I let the oxi clean sit for a few minutes and gave it another scrub.

Here's how it looked after the second scrub. Pretty darn good! I love that you can see if it's stained even when the fabric is wet.

Next I used my bissel green vacuum and soaked the area in a water mixture. ( more info on the blog - https://www.lilyardor.com/wash-upholstery-microfiber/) I kept spraying the water mixture and vacuuming up the area until the water was coming up clear.

I know they sell upholstery sprays however, I prefer this method over the spray on cleaners because all the dirt actually gets sucked out.

Okay so this step is vital if you're working with microfiber. You will need to wipe all the fibers down with a towel until they look smooth. This needs to be done before the couch dries. I share more tips on how to keep your microfiber from looking blotchy after a cleaning. It's important to work in sections. There's a few tricks I picked up. You can check out the blog post here for more info --- https://www.lilyardor.com/wash-upholstery-microfiber/

I hope this was helpful. Let me know if you have any questions.

Here's a before and after :)

Another snippet of how it looks after :)

Lily Oleynik

• Shelia Caldwell

Thank you for sharing! Oxi clean is an amazing product!! I use it for any fabric, plastic, walls I need to clean but wasn’t sure how it would do with microfiber.

do you have any tips for removing pet fur from microfiber? I have an upholstery tool for my Shark vacuum it I’m really nervous to try it on my new couch. 😳

• Myra Bruner

Put on a rubber glove & wipe in one direction. Pick up the hair & throw away.

• Nancy

Ok the cushon covers. Can they ne put in a washing machine?

• Debbie

Never dry them in a dryer and check with manufacturers first I dissolved my covers on my first couch as they were scotch guarded