Asked on Feb 6, 2020

Is it ok to have a ceiling fan along with a regular light in kitchen?

Maura WhiteDeb KCynthia H
+10

• Unique Creations By Anita

I can see why not.

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com

Sure. That could work. It would look best if they relate to each other design wise. :)

• Redcatcec

Hi Cynthia,

Yes, it is ok to do this, it keeps the air swirling and helps to move any smoky pockets around. I have set off the smoke detector more than a few times with hot pans and frying. Although we do not have a ceiling fan, I use a floor box fan to move the air, solving the problem of low air circulation.

• Michelle Leslie

Hi Cynthia, yes it is

• Sure, i bet it actually helps with air circulation while cooking!

• Kathy Gunter Law

I do and love it. When it’s hot the fan assists the vent to pull heat as well as cooking smells.

• Morgan McBride

if you like it then why not?

• Pamela

Sure ! I have ceiling fans in each of my rooms , except the bathroom . It helps to keep the house cool , in warm weather , we use our a/c a lot less ! In the kitchen it helps while cooking !

• Janice

Sure, depending on the size of the kitchen.

• Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom

Yes! I wouldn't see why not. I would make sure they're not too close together to where it wouldn't make more sense to just replace the light you have now with a ceiling fan itself.

• Cynthia H

My old house had recessed can lighting, a light on the wall over one side of the counter, a light over the sink and a ceiling fan with lights. If they are on their own switches, it make task lighting so much nicer. I have recessed can lighting in my new kitchen and two pendants over the peninsula. I miss having the fan!

• Deb K

Hi Cynthia, I replaced an old chandelier with a ceiling fan/light combo, it's great! It helps move the air around in summer and winter. and I still have a light in that area! Hope this helps you out!

youtube.com/watch?v=coDff5RLIas

• Maura White

Sure! That sounds great!