A Seat You Can’t Beat!

$10

I love when I come across a treasure on the side of the road. And every once in a while I will come across a little gem like this one! This cute little barrel chair was in great condition other than the seat area. It swivels and is a great sturdy chair and if I can keep it out of a land fill I am all over it.
Damaged vinyl seat
Originally, I thought I would do some leather look type painting technique on this chair seat. But the more I looked at It, probably definitely would show the damage through any type of painting technique. I took a block sander and sanded off any loose vinyl.
Supplies from hobby store
I finally came up with an idea to do a piece of fabric to conceal the damage and seal it to prevent more damage. I purchased a mod podge fabric medium that would make the fabric flexible when seated on it. I found a fabric print that blended in with the rest of off white chair.
I cut in half to have two pieces for seat are
Rather then apply the fabric in one piece and having it flexing and tearing. I decided to do two half’s along center seam.
Applying mod podge and fabric
Are used a small chip brush and applied a coat of mod podge first, then I laid the fabric in place and smoothed out any wrinkles and applied another coat over the top. Once I got both sides applied I took a razor blade and went to around the edge ribbing and trimmed it perfect. And added mod podge in that divit.
Tucked in fabric around edges
I trimmed off excess fabric and tucked it in between seat and seat back of barrel. Then I applied more mod podge in creases to seal from popping fabric.
Let dry
I let it dry completely and then lightly sanded again. Then I played another final thick coat over the top.
Final sand
When the final coat was dry I lightly sanded off any rough areas. Had a seat and was impressed with how soft it came out.
Final chair
I love love love how it turned out. It works great in master bedroom and serves a purpose for travelers. The best part is I gave it a new life. I hope you enjoy and let me know your thoughts.

• Robinsg

Hi, is the designed holding up pretty good? Thanks

• Cherie

keep us posted on how well this holds up. I have 2 pleather chairs I've been wanting to upgrade and have been going back and forth between paint and fabric.

• Malica page

I have this same chair I’m saving this idea just in case my chair shows signs of damage. I also have this chair in red as well.

• Ruth

Hi Malica, glad I could help. Red would be fun.