How To Make Candlesticks From Old Curtain Rings

$5

I recently purchased a HUGE box of old curtain rings from an auction. I mean hundreds. So I have been racking my brain to come up with some original uses for them.These candlesticks are super quick and easy to make, and look fab in their contrasting colours.

What you need to make a pair of candlesticks from curtain rings

• A selection of old curtain rings. Ours all vary slightly in size and are made of both wood and plastic.
  • Two wooden spheres
  • Any strong glue. We used Bostik all-purpose. E6000 would be a good alternative.
  • Candlestick cup and collar inserts

How to make candlesticks from curtain rings.

Start by removing the little eye screw from each of the curtain rings. These should unscrew easily without the need for tools.
Depending on the material your old curtain rings and how obvious they are you may want to add a tiny drop of paint into the hole to disguise it, although I didn’t bother.

Have a practice run of assembling your candlestick before gluing to work out the pattern and shape you like.
After trying a few combinations, I took a photo of my favourite, so I could refer to it once I started gluing.

Once you have the pattern and shape of the candlestick clear in your head, you can start gluing.

I found it simplest to add glue to the curtain ring I was placing rather than the ones already glued. I worked in sections so as not to put too much weight on the structure before it had a chance to dry.

It is vital that candlesticks are stable. I ran extra glue around the base of the spheres after I had stuck them in place to ensure a strong bond.

It is also a good idea to stick the candle cup and collar inserts in place for the same reason. I am using taper candles in my candlesticks, but you can also get inserts for tea lights. The photo above shows you the two types so you can see the difference.

And here are my finished candlesticks made from curtain rings.

Don’t they look fab?

I’ve started using smaller 11cm Dinner Candles rather than the standard 20cm. It means that I can use a fresh candle when we have guests without ending up with lots of half-burned ones. If you do have part used candles lying around, the two projects featured below are perfect for using up any old wax.

How to Make Home-made Firelighters from Recycled Materials We test out making home-made firelighters from recycled materials – and they are fabulous! We will never need to purchase fire starters again.
  How To Make Concrete Candles Using Homemade Moulds Make concrete candles using part used pillar candles and handmade moulds. They are a great way of trying out candle making without spending a load of money on equipment.

13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
Craft Invaders

• GailAmesiowa

Where can I buy the inserts at?

Can I get them at hobby lobby or joanns or walmart or any craft store?

• Marda

I love the candlesticks and would like to try and make them. could you tell me please the approximate diameter of the Rings that you used? I will be buying them new and don't know whether I need to buy all the different sizes or if they are in a group of multi size rings. could you also tell me the diameter of the wood ball? thank you in advance. I hope mine will come out even half as good as yours.

• Craft Invaders

Hi Marda. The wooden ball has a diameter of 5.5cm. The white ring in the photo is 6cm with an internal hole of 3.5cm The brown ring has an internal hole of 3.5cm but is a shade bigger on the outside at around 6.5cm and the gold coloured ring is chunkier all round with an internal hole of 4.5cm and 7.5cm outside diameter (It is also a bit deeper than the others) Hope that helps and would love to see yours when you make them :)