Asked on Feb 6, 2020

How can I upcycle an Easy Bake Oven?

Laura CooperNaomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CACheryl A
+10

My granddaughter has two easy bake ovens, one at her house and one at mine. When she was younger the mixes (about 4-6 bites) were sufficient. Now she wants to bake something a little more substantial. Any ideas as to either repurposing them or for baking something a little heftier in quantity? Thanks in advance.

• Nan W.

Debbie: Why not donate the ovens --- so another boy or girl can enjoy them. Sounds like she's ready to move on to "baking with grandma!" Start her with easy recipes --- or even boxed cake or cookie mixes. Bonus: It will build her math skills as she learns to measure, etc!! Have FUN!

• I agree with Nan. Start using the big oven and make a batch of cookies or something.

• Debbie

Thanks Nan! I suggested this but her mother doesn’t want her around a real oven. We do bake together, but she’s only allowed to crack eggs and measure! I have learned with the first grand to stay in my lane! 😁

I didn’t know if these ovens get warm enough to melt beads, etc. thus the second half of maybe repurposing them. When her dad was in college in the 90’s some girls had them in their dorm rooms. I just cannot imagine what type of food they were baking.

• Here's a link for using it to bake clay. Maybe she'd like crafting:

https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-turn-an-easybake-into-a-claybake/

• Deb K

Hi Debbie, I see in the grocery stores now that they have mug cakes that can be cooked in the microwave, you could try something like this, in cup cake container and smaller cup or tin, like something from the dollar store. You could also try those beads that melt a low heat temperatures

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/241038/microwave-chocolate-mug-cake/

• Kmdreamer

You could use reg cake mix just don’t fill the pan past half full so it won’t go over the sides you could use any thing that will fit like small pitas and make pizza sauce and mozzarella

• Dwp7470b

I'd say: Brownies or Cupcakes are a great Introduction to baking.

• Cynthia H

I bake with my granddaughter and we started out with a cupcake baker similar to a waffle maker. I used regular mixes, mini cupcake papers and we made all kinds of variations. Plus, she practiced her cupcake decorating skills! She has perfected cracking an egg, measuring and stirring. She makes mini pies now, only I put them in and take them out of the oven, until she's older.

• Cheryl A

We also used Jiffy cake mix it is cheap and very good to use

• All excellent suggestions! An easy bake oven heats with a lightbulb, so your options are limited. How old is she? We learned how to bake a age 5 or 6. We learned how to measure, mix, prepare and fill pans and mom placed in the oven and removed till we were a bit older.

• Laura Cooper

Check out biggerbolderbaking.com. She has literally hundreds of baking recipes for the microwave and they are really good recipes. I cook with my grandchildren all the time, too, and we make mug donuts and mug quiche all the time together using the microwave. https://www.biggerbolderbaking.com/gemmas-mug-meals/