Asked on Feb 7, 2020

What is the easiest way to sand window frames?

LouiseJaniceMegan
+17

I have some old windows I will be using for a few craft projects. I want to sand the frames, and was wondering if there was an attachment I could put on my drill, to sand these frames? ( I can't do these, by hand! ). Or is there a specific type of sander, I should use?

A couple of the windows.. Also, concerned about the possibility of "lead paint"?

• Kathy Gunter Law

You could make your job easier by using a stripper first like CitriStrip. Then scrape off the old paint. That will leave you with very little sanding to do.

You can buy a palm sander for the job. They aren't very expensive and come in handy around the house.

• Deb

Thank you! I have heard of "Citri- Strip", and, I will look into a "palm sander"!! Thank you so much!!

• Mogie

If the trim has decorative embellishments, sand the surface of the wood by hand, with either a hand sanding block, sanding sponge or ordinary sandpaper. This is required even if you stripped the trim, since some residue is always left behind by stripping agents. Use fine-grit sandpaper (between 180 and 240 grit) to avoid removing too much wood or damaging the trim's embellishments. This prepares the surface for paint or stain.

If your trim has a broad, flat surface and few or no embellishments, use a handheld rotary tool with a 240-grit sanding disc accessory to speed up the process. Use the rotary tool at a low power setting.

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com

Yes. You could try using a sanding attachment for your drill. A dremel with sanding tool might get into the small corners etc better tho.

• Deb

Thank you , so much! I thought so too! ( just wasn't certain ! )

• Recreated Designs

Hi Deb. You can usually find mouse sanders at home improvement stores. They are shaped almost like an iron is and make jobs like this easier to sand.

• Deb K

Hi Deb, there is an attachment, also this may help you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d2usPQwbRs

Flat sandpaper and sanding blocks are great for flat surfaces, but when you need to sand curves and arcs, you need a curved sanding surface. Use your cordless drill and a sanding drum to give a smooth surface to even the most irregular shapes.

• I would use a chemical stripper - less chance of breaking the glass. I use Citristrip.

• Dwp7470b

There are attachments, but I would never recommend them around glass. So, your best bet is to use a woodblock and several different grits of sandpaper.

• Megan

Yes I would definitely strip before sanding! :)

• Janice

If you decide to strip before sanding, a good tip is to apply the Citri-Strip, then lay some saran wrap or a plastic bag over the stripping agent. It helps keep the stripper working longer because it isn't exposed to the air quite so much. Hope this little tip helps you a bit!

• Louise

Try useing a mouse (palm sander) these are small an fit in all the nuts an crannys . very effective an fast hope this helps