Embroidered Sheet Tapestry

$5

If you love thrifting, you might have a huge collection of sheets just waiting to be used. I love buying them because there are so many great things you can do with them, but this has to be my new favorite. I loved the birds and flowers on one of the sheets I had and decided to turn it into an embroidered tapestry and I am so happy with how it turned out.
Decide on the size you want your tapestry and cut fabric to length.
Pick something on the sheet that you would like to "pop" and place inside an embroidery hoop.
Starting from the back, use an embroidery needle and embroidery floss to start adding pops of color to the sheet. You'll use the pictures as your guide for this.
The more color you add, the better.
I added tiny beads to the embroidery and it really makes it sparkle and shine when the light hits it.
I added a few more embellishments to some small flowers as well.
You'll need another piece of fabric for the back of your tapestry. Place the right sides together and sew the sides and top.
Pull the right side out and sew along the bottom.
Choose a piece of trim for the bottom of your tapestry and ribbon for the top. You'll sew a piece of ribbon to both top corners of the tapestry.
You can sew the trim along the bottom of the tapestry or use a hot glue gun to add it.
I left a little piece of trim to wrap and glue to the back for a nice finished look.
I love the neon ribbon with the fabric because it's so unexpected.

Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

• Bek

Now, somewhere in this apartment, there's a lovely Jacobean Floral sheet...I'm thinking maybe do some outlining in a slightly contrasting color! Maybe a very simple running stitch?

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

That would be awesome! You can make he embroidery as complex or as simple as you want and it would great no matter what. The embroidery adds something extra to the sheet and makes it one of a kind!

• Heje

Would an iron on facing help prevent the puckering? I like the looks of this and plan on doing something similar.

• Sue

Hi Holly, I have those exact sheets on my bed currently. I've had them for nearly 35 years and they've only barely faded.

I don't know where I got mine, do you happen to know where you got them? I'd love another set.

• Sue

Thanks so much for answering, bummer that your tags are gone too.

Beautiful project!