Faux Wood Hood Vent

$25

I was bored with the cabinets above our microwave. At some point I tossed the idea of getting rid of the microwave just so I could have a wood vent hood. Then I seen this idea and had to give it a try!

First we took down the doors, Then measured out the space.

We started from the bottom and made this piece “raised” to give some depth to the vent hood. We used a 1x 2 on the sides and then stapled the 1x 6 on top.

Here’s another angle of what we did.

From there we lined up another 1x 6. But this one fits flush where the doors once was. I knew If we used all 1x6 it would not work for the space. So you will see the stained piece is a 1x4. Then another 1x6 above it.

I wanted to add another piece along the top to give more depth to the hood. So you will see we used another 1x2 for the sides and to stack on top of the top 1x6. No particular placement. Just where I thought it looked best.

Last, I stained the entire vent hood with expresso dark stain. Let dry, and hung a pretty wreath.

Here is the before. I really had no use for the cabinets anyways. I’m too short to reach anything up there. Yes, I do know that if our microwave ever goes out (knock on wood) that I’ll have to remove one of the pieces to plug a new one in. Overall, super pleased with this project! It really added a wood focal point to this area!

To see more: https://www.etsy.com/shop/HomeSweetFarmhouseNC?listing_id=733663951

• ShelbyNeen

Love this idea as I have cabinets that I cannot reach in a few rooms.

-

My question is - the before and afters have two different microwaves. Did you also switch microwaves during this transition?

• ShelbyNeen

omg - what a difference a cup of coffee makes!

I see that they are the same today; whaaat?

• Lynne

awesome job!! i was wondering about that piece behind your stove, and did you build it

• Katie Walling
    7 minutes ago

The cabinet by the stove where you have your plates at what is the size and do the drawers open up. I have a space between my stove and frig that I would like to put a cabinet in just like yours. Please let me know thank you Katie.