Faux Wood Hood Vent

$25

I was bored with the cabinets above our microwave. At some point I tossed the idea of getting rid of the microwave just so I could have a wood vent hood. Then I seen this idea and had to give it a try!

First we took down the doors, Then measured out the space.

We started from the bottom and made this piece “raised” to give some depth to the vent hood. We used a 1x 2 on the sides and then stapled the 1x 6 on top.

Here’s another angle of what we did.

From there we lined up another 1x 6. But this one fits flush where the doors once was. I knew If we used all 1x6 it would not work for the space. So you will see the stained piece is a 1x4. Then another 1x6 above it.

I wanted to add another piece along the top to give more depth to the hood. So you will see we used another 1x2 for the sides and to stack on top of the top 1x6. No particular placement. Just where I thought it looked best.

Last, I stained the entire vent hood with expresso dark stain. Let dry, and hung a pretty wreath.

Here is the before. I really had no use for the cabinets anyways. I’m too short to reach anything up there. Yes, I do know that if our microwave ever goes out (knock on wood) that I’ll have to remove one of the pieces to plug a new one in. Overall, super pleased with this project! It really added a wood focal point to this area!

15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space

To see more: https://www.etsy.com/shop/HomeSweetFarmhouseNC?listing_id=733663951

• ShelbyNeen
    ShelbyNeen

Love this idea as I have cabinets that I cannot reach in a few rooms.

-

My question is - the before and afters have two different microwaves. Did you also switch microwaves during this transition?

• Laurie S
    Laurie S

Kristy, please tell us about the shelf(?) that wraps around the top piece of your stove!! Great idea!!

• E95656
    E95656

Love this!

• Emmawilliams1
    Emmawilliams1

I liked the first cabinets...I have one like it above my microwave and I store information regarding appliances etc and a recipe box I seldom use, but need..My opinion....Enjoy whatever!