Cabinet Door to Wall Plaque

$2

I used a $2 cabinet door I picked up at Restore to make a beautiful wall plaque featuring a verse from "Just the Way You Are" by Billy Joel.
I could not believe my luck while browsing at Restore last week. I found some cabinet doors that were brand new with no knicks, scratches, or holes in them for only $2.00 each. Needless to say, I picked up several.
Here is the complete process on YouTube.
The first thing I did was to remove all label and tape residue using Goo Gone, then I cleaned the cabinet door thoroughly using a TSP substitute.
After it was cleaned I sanded it down to remove any polyurethane or sealer that might prevent the paint from adhering to the door.
I then painted the inside panel with three coats of chalk paint. Once it was completely dry (I let is sit overnight) I lightly sanded the paint to be sure I had a nice smooth surface.
I used painter's tape to protect the interior panel and then painted the cabinet door frame with four coats of Rose Gold metallic acrylic paint, allowing it to dry in between coats.I used thin coats so it did not take too long to dry.
I used my Silhouette Cameo 4 to cut out the lyrics from the Billy Joel song "Just the Way You Are" along with a copy of his signature I found online. I used transfer tape to adhere the lettering to the door panel.
Once the lettering was done I turned it over and attached a large sawtooth hanger to the top center of the frame.
It's finish and ready to be hung. I love the way it came out and it will be perfect in our bedroom as the song holds special meaning to us.
If you want to see more projects you can go to my blog, Salmonde.com or look me up on YouTube, Salmonde.

• Happy Days Hometalker

My favorite song by Billy Joel, what a wonderful project !

• Joanie

I remember Billy Joel quite well and this is a great LOVE song. It will also make a sweet LOVE statement to anyone.