Asked on Feb 8, 2020

How do I illuminate a space using strong but warm light?

KimAgnes ChrzanowskaJudyH
+17

Anybody have an idea how to illuminate a space with strong light keeping the environment warm? Now I have a very strong but not a warm light. What about many lamps from the side of the walls? Any other ideas?Thank u!

• Nan W.

Shira: certainly you could put scones on that wall... or a simple hanging light above table.

When picking out bulbs... look for LEDs that say "WARM white light"

FYI: that's a nice rug... you may want to rotate/put it under the dining set... to define and upscale that space. (Try it!)

Replace the bulbs with 800 lumen LED bulbs. Home Depot has a nice display on the different intensity LED's.

• Lauri

I use white Christmas lights all year long, gives me enough light I don't really even need lamps

• Deb K

Hi Shira, I am thinking you want light that heats up, only incandescent will do that and they are going by the wayside because LED lights are longer lasting. I thin you could put in a "daylight" led bulb int he fixtures for the brightness, I have attached a link with a heater that looks great and mounts on the wall, hope it helps you! Also, you could put a small electric fireplace in there

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/amaze-heater-400-watt-ceramic-electric-panel-room-heater/6000196282449?cmpid=sem_google_en_pla_none_1017206307_76687411565_None&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=CjwKCAiA1fnxBRBBEiwAVUouUk9_XozFzwn6XQfbJS85OsSOGMOdfZzKS_tlMKcz8uhKj7PYu98GWBoC6HsQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Electric fireplace heater to se on the table and still look good

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-Bay-13-5-in-Desktop-Electric-Fireplace-in-White-SP5970/304576641

• Judy in Canton.

I would look into canned lighting. It is a warm glow. A bright hanging fan with lights over the table can be used when brighter light is needed.

• Dwp7470b

I see your problem. Electrical Safety Administrator Dave here at your service. You got walls. Yes, believe or not, that is the source of the problem. Light is not getting everywhere so you have areas of reflection and areas of shade. The best way to fix that is by

• Tube Florescent Lights or

• Tube LED Lights

You can place either on the ceiling at the Corner by the Table. That will create Additional Light in the Space where the Wall is obstructing the Light.

• Cynthia H

Look for light bulbs that are labeled warm. Also, dimmers can be a great way to adjust lighting.

• Sharon

If you are looking to make the dining area more cozy, I would replace that single bulb hang down light with a fixture that is lower right above the table.... or a chandelier hung say 36" above the table. I would also paint that table alcove a color to warm it up like a pale yellow is always nice in a kitchen.

A drum art shade would cut the glare from that ceiling light next to the frig.... you can make your own, but make sure you use a diffuser on the bottom to cut the glare... https://www.lampsplus.com/products/close-to-ceiling-lights/type_art-shade/

• Johnavallance82

Hi Shira,

You can buy coloured bulbs or maybe use Glass paint to colour the ones you already have. You could always use a soft white or Hint of a Tint paint on your walls, or use up lighters or wall lights with coloured shades. You could also add a Picture or two or a Mirror with a great frame. Hope that helps

• Rymea

I'm assuming it is a rental. If you can get permission, paint the walls a warmer color. It could still be white but a warmer creamy off white. Light bulbs that are 2700K to 3000K are considered warm. 3500K to 5000K is cool. You could put a shade on the bulb over the kitchen table.

It's a nice space. Once you get some art on the walls and some window coverings it will look cozier.

• Janice

You can now purchase LED bulbs that are listed as "warm" which would help warm up the area. You might also add a mirror on the wall on the right as your picture shows as blank. The rug you have in between your kitchen and table area would be a nice addition beneath the table or possibly a large round one would also warm up the space. Perhaps adding some colorful cushions on the two chairs and a colorful curtain would warm up the space too.

• Flipturn

Re: canned lighting in Judy's comment above

This style of lighting refers to the physical shape and material of the fixture, and how it is mounted up into the ceiling. How 'warm' the light shines depends on the rating of the lightbulb that screwed inside the metal can housing, not the hardware of the fixture.

Besides being expensive to install if the wiring and supports are not already in place in the ceiling, this style of light fixture is now considered outmoded.

It has now being replaced with the new slim/shallow style mountings. As the housings are very lightweight compared with the older metal cans, or pots, they do not require any robust constructed supports. And, as source of light is integrated LED, not bulbs, they do not require any insulation. They attach inside the ceiling with clips which vary in style with different brands.

https://10besthomedecor.com/best-recessed-lighting-buyers-guide/

Examples of these recessed ceiling mounted integrated LED lights are below:

• Flipturn

To help clear up some of the confusion as to different ratings of LED light, here is some visual information:

• Shira Friedman

Thank u dear hometalkers for your beautiful and helpful answers!!!

• I also find lamplight to be much warmer and less harsh than overhead light, especially when paired with a soft white bulb. Good luck!

• JudyH

Aside from using 'warm' bulbs, I suggest you add light globes over the the ceiling fixtures. Right now the lighting is harsh and glaring. If you are in a rental and don't want to invest in completely new fixtures, you can buy globes that clip on to the bulbs that are very inexpensive. On the dark corner wall (and other walls!), hang mirrors or anything shiny, such as plates, silver trays, copper objects, etc. That will help bounce light around the room.

• Agnes Chrzanowska

If you like to light up that space with bright light ...the only way to do it that is cost effective and actually works is to install recces lights in the ceiling.

• Kim

How about a beautiful bright Chandelier up above. There you go. If you need more than that add a few light around (simple lighting) the walls or above the Sink.