Asked on Feb 8, 2020

How do I make fine damask guest towel into a wedding gift?

Maura WhiteJaniceSimple Nature Decor
+10

This is fine damask guest towel, with handmade lace and embroidered initials made by my grand mother for her wedding chest in 1875. I want to make it into something for my granddaughter as a family treasure for her own wedding in 2020. almost 175 years later. Any suggestions? Thank you.

• Unexpected Elegance

Perhaps you could have it custom framed?

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com

I second the idea of framing it. It sounds so precious.

• Em

A pillow would also be nice for the bed or a living room chair.

• Nan W.

Carol: Definitely frame it -- protect it!

• Dwp7470b

I'd leave it as it is. Maybe wash it by hand in a Very Mild Dish Detergent. The Story behind it should be enough.

• Cynthia H

When each of my daughters got married, I made them wedding bags. If you aren't familiar with them, they are a bag to put cards and monetary gifts ar the reception, especially the bride dance where you pay to dance with the bride. They then used the bags to keep mementoes from the wedding. Good luck with your project!

• Michelle Leslie

Hi Carol, what a beautiful idea. I would frame it in a box frame for your granddaughter. That way it can be put on display all the time and it will be protected from the elements for at least another 175 years

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

You can put it into a shadow box. They aren't expensive, and come in tons of colors and styles. The towel would be protected, but she would also be able to open the door and feel it.

• I agree with a frame or taking to to have it mounted onto foam board before framing. I wonder if that would prevent it from breaking down over time exposed to light.

• Pamela

I would put it in a shadow box , along with a picture of your grandmother , her wedding picture would be great , leaving room for your granddaughter to fit her wedding picture along with the other items ! What an amazing gift to pass down !!!!

• Simple Nature Decor

You can make a make a hankerchief for her using the fabric https://sewing.com/diy-handkerchief/

• Janice

A shadow box would be lovely, or perhaps you can have it placed into a picture frame with a mat in a larger size to accent it to go with the decor of the home.

• Maura White

How about a handkerchief that she wraps around her bouquet?