IKEA Hack Lego Inspired Wardrobe
My seven year old son is obsessed with LEGO®.Like, really obsessed.To the point where (and this list is not exhaustive by the way, but if your child exhibits at least two of these symptoms, you might have a case of LEGO® – itis on your hands. I don’t advise visiting your doctor, as they won’t be able to help! The only ‘cure’ I know: Just roll with it and thank god they aren’t on an iPad. )
- sleeps with his LEGO® creations in his bed at night, and carries them around in his hands (or pockets) during the day.
- owns two huge crates of mixed LEGO®, the rest lives on the bedroom floor.
- will choose a LEGO® magazine over buying a new game, toy, or junk food.
- sings ‘Everything is Awesome’ ALL of the time when things clearly aren’t that awesome!
Is this picture I am painting ringing any bells at all?Anyways I decided to hack some IKEA furniture to make a LEGO wardrobe. Not the first time - check out my previous IKEA HACKS hereMATERIALS NEEDED:
- IKEA IVAR of 3 Drawers (80 x 57cm)
- IKEA IVAR 2 door cabinet (80 x 50 x 83cm)
- x 4 wooden legs
- Varnish and cloth
- 3 x drawer handles
- Wooden dowels 7/8″
- Wood glue
- Optional : Sticky vinyl and sharpie
- 7/8″ Hole cutter drill bit
- power Router
HOW TO MAKE:Assemble both the IVAR cabinet and drawers. Place them on top of each other
- Add legs to the base of the IVAR drawers.
- Remove the cabinet doors and add a hanging rail
Now create the LEGO® effect for the doors of the cabinet.To do this cut circles from the wood (which would have been used for the shelves). Use a router to cut these circles to size. You will need six circles in total – three for each door
Stick three circles on each door with wood glue
- Place doors back on to the IVAR cabinet and stain with a varnish of your choice
- Add pulls of your choice to the drawers and stain with varnish
What do you think? Visit my blog below to see how I customised the inside of the cabinet
- WOOD GLUE
- IKEA IVAR
Top Hometalk Projects
Want more details about this and other DIY projects? Check out my blog post!Go