DIY Fabric Scraps Storage Bin

$10

While cleaning my craft room, I realized I had a lot more fabric scraps sitting around than I realized. I needed a quick and easy place to store them, and this DIY Fabric Scraps Storage Bin was born! Budget-friendly, it only requires some plywood, a tomato cage, and a drop cloth, and can be made in just a few hours.
All I purchased for this project was the tomato cage - the plywood and drop cloth were both scraps I had sitting around.
I assembled the tomato cage, placed the plywood at the bottom, then bent the stakes of the cage around the plywood.
I stapled the stakes in place with 1/2" staples.
Honestly, I did a bad job bending the stakes, and they weren't perfectly even. My bin was a little lopsided, so to make it work I added feet of different thickness to level it out. This has an added bonus or preventing the staples from scratching my floor.
I also added a liner for the bin. I started by cutting fabric large enough to circle all four sides. I then sewed the first and last sides together.
Then I added a square bottom to fabric.
Finally, I added a hem at the top of the fabric.
I ended up spray painting my bin black at this point because I didn't love the way the green cage looked, and I'm so glad I did! It looks great, and I love the way the bin turned out!
If you like it too and think you might make your own, be sure to check out the DIY Fabric Scraps Storage Bin blog post. And if you love storage and organization projects, check out my DIY Bedside Organizer project. It's the perfect thing to keep your nightstand neat and tidy!

Lindsay Fay

• Lynn Dahlke

How about casters/wheels for the bottom instead of the wood blocks. then you can move it around to wherever you need it without having to pick it up to move it. I did this for an old steamer trunk I wanted to keep, but I have carpet and did not want to destroy it. Works GREAT!!

• Patricia
    17 minutes ago

Did this but I use pillow cases for different color of the scrap so I know if it's a pink pillow case it's all different colors pink blue colored Blues the pillowcases work just as good

• Patricia
      17 minutes ago

Also usually you can get them at the end of the year on Clarence like 50 Cent's maybe a dollar or at thrift stores very cheap