DIY Shelf Furniture Makeover

$10
1 Day

I found this shelf unit at a garage sale for $5. I wanted to try my hand at some more furniture makeovers and this price allowed me to give it a go! In the beginning I wasn't sure where I'd use this piece because there are so many places we could use shelves. Who doesn't need more shelf space right? You can see more of my crazy creations here

Here's the original shelf. The picture just doesn't do it justice. It had been painted a couple times, there were drips, uneven paint, etc.

I started by lightly sanding the piece.

Next I cleaned the entire piece with a mixture of denatured alcohol and water.

I had intended for this unit to be in my bathroom for storage, but my daughter as I said ... swiped it for her room :) She picked the color she wanted as the base. I added 2 coats of Home Decor Chalk Paint in the color Castle. I let it dry between each coat.

I let the entire piece dry before moving on.

My daughter loves stars and her favorite color is blue. We picked this fabric out. I measured the shelves and made a paper template for how much fabric we'd want on each shelf. I cut the fabric to match the template.

I painted on a layer of Mod Podge onto the shelf where the fabric would go.

I placed the fabric onto the shelf and on top of the Mod Podge and smoothed it out.

I added another coat of Mod Podge on top of the fabric to protect and seal it.

I added a few layers of Mod Podge letting it dry between each coat. We also found some baskets that fit on the shelves so that we could store some things in them.

I would love to have you stop by my blog Chas' Crazy Creations  for the full tutorial as well as sign up for my latest creations, posts, recipes, exclusives, and more...

I would love for you to subscribe to my YouTube channel to see more of my crazy creations - https://www.youtube.com/c/chascrazycreations

Chas' Crazy Creations