DIY Wood Planter Box

$50

In the spirit of trying to make my front porch more inviting, I decided a nice wood planter box would be the answer. Not only would it add livelihood from the plants, but the wood would add some much needed warmth to the front porch. I found some incredible planter boxes at World Market, and the price wasn't awful, but I knew we could build one for less. Plus, why buy when you could DIY? 🙂
Alright, let's start DIYing!
P.S. If you want to learn how to make your front porch more inviting just in time for Spring, click here to see our 5 ideas under $25!
1. Cut your 2x2s into:
  • (4) 23.75" pieces for your legs
  • (6) 13.85" pieces for your frame
2. Cut your 1x2s into:
  • (2) 13.85" pieces
  • (4) - 16.5"
  • (26) 16.9"
  • (26) - 18.4"
3. Make the bottom frame using your 2x2s. Make a square by attaching 13.85" pieces to the legs using wood glue and screws.We made our bottom frame 1 screw head from the bottom of the legs so that the bottom frame would not be touching the ground. This will help with drainage and prevent the wood from rotting.
4. Determine what height you need to place your remaining 2x2s. To figure this out, measure the height of your plastic planter and add .75" - 1". The top of your remaining 2x2s should be that distance from the top of the planter. You will glue and screw one into opposite sides.
5. Hold your plastic planter in place and mark on the 2x2s where the feet of the planter are. Place your 16.5" 1x2s on top of the 2x2s and test to make sure they are in the correct position to hold the feet of the planter. If so, glue and nail the 1x2s into the 2x2s.
6. Using the (2) 13.85" 1x2s, glue and nail them towards the top of your frame on the sides that you did not add the 2x2 supports. This will help square up your planter.
7. Quickly sand your (52) 1x2s that will be the outside of the planter. We just used 80-grit. If you want a smoother finish, you can sand using a higher grit sandpaper. We decided it wasn't necessary since it will be outside.
8. Stain your (52) 1x2s and frame using an exterior stain.
9. Once the stain is dry, it's time to start attaching the 1x2s to the frame. I started with the two short sides so that I could line up the edges of the 1x2s with the corners of the frame. I used two felt furniture pads for the spacing (one on each side). They measured exactly 3/16" high.
Glue and nail each 1x2 in place. Place the spacers in on other side between each board. Attach both of the short sides and then attach the long sides.
10. Time to make the top frame out of the 1x3! Place your plastic planter in place while you measure for the 1x3s. Measuring for one piece at a time, place the 1x3 on top of the planter and mark the corners. Cut the 1x3 at a 45-degree angle.Place the piece you just cut in place and use it as a guide when getting the other measurements.
11.Sand and stain your 1x3s then attach them with glue and nails.
Looking for some outdoor inspiration and DIY tutorials? We have plenty more for you here! Get ready for Spring by creating an outdoor space that you love.
Don't want to break the bank? Check out our 5 ways to upgrade your outdoor living space on a budget

Zoe Hunt

• JoAnn

I will try this, but where did you get the black box you put inside the frame?

• Sue Sanders

To keep bottom boards from rotting from rain on porch shouldn't you put something on corners of planter to lift contact of boards up off porch.?

• Katen

I really like this. Very clever building around pot. My question is did you put any varnish or poly over it? I saw you stained but not a finish to protect against elements. I think I would add just a bit more height to bottom to ensure plenty of drainage when big rainstorms hit. Thank you for sharing

• Carole

What is the color you used for your front door please?? Your planter is very unique and I really like it. Thank you.

• Selina

That is a great job you have done!!! I would love to make 1 but not very good with wood and tools lol I used to be but getting too old and sore for it now!!! I just wanted to tell you that it is very nice!!!

• Carole

Would you mind sharing the paint color and company who sells it? Thank you in advance.