Plant Stand Upcycle

$20

A dear friend of mine moved out of state and asked if I would like her house plants. I was happy to add some more greenery to my house and to have memories of my friend surrounding me. Inheriting these plants, lead me to hunt for some reasonably priced stands that match my current decor. Read on for a simple tutorial to spruce up a stand you might already own, or inspire you to think twice about a shabby item.

$4 Thrift Find!

The cost of plant pots, soil, and plant stands can really add up. During a thrift shop visit I saw a small metal plant stand that had seen better days, but was perfectly sturdy. The top is a wood composite of some sort, with a peeling picture of butterflies. At only $4 I figured some sanding and spray paint would make it like new.

Swapped Satin Spray Paint for Matte

Besides protective gloves, I only used a sanding block, Zinser spray primer, and Rust-oleum matte black spray paint. My husband originally picked up a satin finish and I didn't realize it, even after taking the photo above and typing out materials. So to the local hardware store I went.

Ta da!

I sanded down the peeling paint. There was no need to get too vigorous.

Prime coat.

Spraying the primer was easy. The coverage was even and smooth.

Once the primer was applied, I let the plant stand sit outside for 30 minutes before bringing it inside to dry overnight.

With impending rain, I made haste and sprayed the stand black. I did the same as with the prime coat; 30 mintue dry time outside and overnight drying inside.

Matte paint done

This was a really simple project, and you may have the materials already. There is a ton of spray paint left in the can, primer too. I have some other projects that require matte black paint, so it won't go to waste!

Sometimes when I'm looking for a new item, I forget to look at what I already have that I can repurpose. Other times I don't find things I love and forget how easy it is to put in a little effort to make exactly what I want. A little paint goes a long way!

Check out my Instagram account instagram.com/this.dear.casa & other tutorials here on Hometalk! Thanks for reading.

To see more: //instagram.com/this.dear.casa

• Chigger Wilhite

Hello. You said you didn't need to get too vigorous with the sanding. Do you just knock off the flakes? If there are no flakes and you're gonna use primer can't ya skip the sanding? Oh, Please say Yes. Your matte black looks good. I'm partial to green, any shade darker than sucker green. Did you make the pot holding the flowers, if so are the instructions on your blog?

Thank You for sharing

Chigger 🐾

• This Dear Casa

Hi! Thanks for reading the post. There was a bit of glitter on the legs of the plant stand. I forgot to mention that in the post! I sanded to smooth that out. On the top, the picture of the butterfly scene was rubbed off in places, so I wanted to even out the edges. If you have metal that is mostly smooth or if you don't mind some texture, you can get away less sanding. Sanding helps paint to adhere better, thus lasting longer.

I did not make the pot - I wish! However, I have an idea for a diy pot that might be coming soon