Quick and Easy Concrete Steps

$3

Concrete projects are super easy way to upscale your gardens for pennies. In this post I made concrete walking stones for the backyard of my former home. The concrete is under 5.00 bag and you can get several projects from one. Can't beat the price and it is super easy to mix. The worse part is lifting the darn bags.
Mixing is easy and new real formula. The more water you add, the smoother the concrete. The less water, the rougher the project will be. It is best to add water, stir good, and more water, stirs more. Until you get it the consistency you are looking for.
Simple garden shovel works well.
use your hose to add the water and mix, mix, mix.
Dig a hole the size of the step stone you would like. Or create a mold out of an old vase, a glass lamp shade. Create a spot in the grade the shape of your desired finisephed project, line with leaves or straw or something that will leave textured imprints. Have fun and get creative!

Cyndi

• Kara Wurtzel

I love this idea! How would you use an old lampshade as a mold? I'd love to hear more about this.

• Krazy K

Put the lampshade on the ground where you want your step. Pour your quikcrete into the lampshade. Once it sets remove your shade. Make sure the larger end of your shade is on the ground.

You could also use the lampshade as a guide to trace around and dig your whole. Each hole would be the same dimensions.

• Natalie

I've seen this done with elephant ear leaves. Makes a beautiful looking walkway.

• Cyndi

I've seen that too. I also saw a project with a LARGE leaf that was made into a bird bath. It was super cute!

• Jill Krol

I've always done this and it really is better than buying flimsy pavers that crack! At one house I made a "puzzle" shaped walk way. At another house, I used the garbage can lid as the pattern. You simply place it where you want your paver to be, mark around the edges, remove the form/lid, and dig out the spot. Make sure the dug out spot is reasonably level and 3" - 4" deep so that the final product doesn't crack.