DIY Flower Frame

$30

Turn a plain frame into something beautiful that brings color into your home. This is an easy DIY project that is fun to make, absolutely gorgeous when finished and it won’t break the bank.
Spring is in the air! Okay, maybe not so much BUT I don’t care, I am ready for spring! It has been a bit warmer in Portland this winter and I am already starting to see little buds forming on the trees. I was even able to get work in the yard the other day! It felt amazing to be outside and not be freezing cold. This has given me springtime on the brain and I am ready!
This easy DIY flower picture frame was just what I needed to bring a little spring into my home. Not only is this DIY project so pretty, it is so easy! All you need is artificial flowers, an inexpensive frame, and some hot glue.
Side note: Isn’t using a hot glue gun so fun!? Every time I use one I find myself (with, gun in hand) looking around my house trying to find something else to hot glue.
Anyways, you will find yourself finished in less than an hour with a beautiful piece DIY home decor.
When picking out your flowers, choose a couple different types to bring texture and color to your project. Also, notice the leaves and choose some flowers that have leaves you would like to use.
The leaves on the small zinnia flowers I used were like soft felt and didn’t scream fake. They were slightly better quality than the dahlias and were perfect to use as the foliage.
Start by either pulling or cutting off several stems of leaves as far down the base as you can.
Most artificial flowers are easy to remove the bud (like the dahlias I got) it just pops right off. Others (like the pink zinnias) are wrapped and need to be cut off with scissors. Cut (or pop) off as many flowers as you think you will want. If you have to cut any buds off, be sure them as close to the bud as possible to have a flat surface.
Now that you have all your stems and flowers ready to glue, place everything first without gluing so you know what it will look like. Glue one layer at a time starting with the stems. I chose to decorate two frames to hang them on either side of a window. I placed my flowers opposite corners on each frame.
If you choose to do one frame, may I suggest a little something like this…
Cut off any access length on the stems. Apply a decent amount of glue onto the stems and place them on the frame. Press down next to the glue and hold in place until it is set.
Glue the remaining branches on the other side of the corner.
Add the large flower first, apply a generous amount of hot glue on the bottom of the flower bud. Place it in the corner of the stems so it fits snugly between the two. Hold for a couple minutes until secure. Apply a couple smaller flowers to either side of the big flower gluing them straight onto the leaves. Allow glue to dry for a few minutes and your DIY picture frame is complete!

See, I told you it was easy! Now you have that bit of spring you have been longing for and a piece of decor that you can use over and over.

Kaylene

• Pam

Where did you get the prints on the inside?

• Jeanne Martin

I would search for "love sayings" or "love prints" on the internet (Google it!). If you find one you like, select it, and when it comes up on its own (new page or screen) right click on it. Select "download image" and it will download it into your "downloads" file folder (that's where mine puts it). I insert them as a picture in Word then resize it to whatever size I need and then print it. You could also just find a saying you like and recreate it in Word (or similar program) using a fun font. Print it on plain white paper or a pretty paper available at any craft store (Hobby Lobby, Michaels, JoAnn's, etc.).

• Shari W. Benavidez

Where did you find the prints that you framed

• Jeanne Martin

I didn't see any mention here or on her blog on where she got those prints. However, see my answer to Pam above if you want to create your own.