Asked on Feb 11, 2020

How can I repair the suctioning on my freezer door?

KmdreamerHomeroadLinda
+13

I have a top freezer and every time I close my refrigerator my freezer door then opens on its own and our food is going bad from it. How can I tell if it’s the suctioning or the henge of the door? thank you!

• Mogie

Most likely one of the below.

1) Air pressure.

2) Unit not leveled properly.

3) Closing the door to hard.

4) Seal surrounding door is worn or excessively dirty.

5) Seal with magnetic strip around door is loose.

6) Overstuffed shelves or food item(s) placed in a way to inhibit the door from closing properly.

• Try re-leveling the refrigerator.

• JudyH

The magnet in the seal may be shot.

• Heather Pech

Thank you all!!

check and it seems fine. Going to try to replace the seal. Anyone know how I might go about ordering that?

• Kathy Gunter Law

Obtain your manufacturer's model & serial number off the unit. It should be visible inside but may be on the back of the appliance. Then contact the manufacturer. You might be able to find on Amazon but I wouldn't chance a wrong part if I were doing this.

I did this with a lost piece on a gas stove and it was only $13 ($1.50 over other sites) and I was 100% guaranteed it was the right part.

In the mean time, you might try taping it to hold it closed so you don't lose items inside. You can get the sticky residue off with vegetable oil. Try several strips of painter's tape for no residue but if that doesn't do it, go with clear packing tape.

• Chloe Crabtree

Sounds like you might need to clean the seal on the freezer.

• Cindy

Hi Heather. Begin by cleaning the freezer gasket and all around where the gasket touches the freezer. Dry it real good. You should be able to order a new gasket from the manufacturer. Good luck Heather.

I agree first clean the freezer gasket and the frame of the freezer where the gasket touches when the door is closed. Once all clean open the door and place a dollar bill on the frame and close the door. Pull on the dollar bill. It should pull out with a little friction. Means the magnet and seal are good. May just need to adjust the front legs so the fridge tilts back a little. If you do need to replace the seal go to https://www.repairclinic.com/ . Put in your model number. They have schematics, repair guides and sell parts.

• Cynthia H

A problem I used to have, was the food was pushing against the door of the freezer, sliding forward when the lower door was pushed shut. I put everything in plastic baskets and kept them further back from the door. Check that your fridge and doors are level,too.

• Pamela

Hi ! It sounds like you need a new seal for your freezer door .

• Homeroad

You will have to check with the manufacturer, they sell replacement seals you can install yourself. We had a problem with ours and replaced the seals.

• Kmdreamer

A just the wheels on the bottom front of the fridge so it tilts back more that should help