Potting Up Your Rooted Rose Cuttings

$5

I shared with you previously a couple ways that I easily root rose cuttings and now I am showing you how to pot them up once they have rooted. Super easy yet a necessary step to getting big, beautiful rose bushes!
You can duplicate many of the roses you have in your garden with cuttings. But what happens after you have roots? I show you what I do to keep my new roses growing strong!
So you have roots on your cuttings. Great! (these are kind of a poor example, usually I let them get bigger roots before potting up)
Though these roots are on the small size they will be fine. Gently remove the cuttings from the rooting medium you used. Use a small tool to gently loosen the soil and pull the on out or put the clump in water and let it wash away the potting medium.
See all the roots, well despite being a good size they are very delicate, handle them gently to prevent snapping any off.
Fill a 4 inch pot with a good quality potting soil (no synthetic fertilizer added) and lightly hold the rose roots on top of the soil.
Start filling the pot with more soil until you are half an inch from the top. Water in the cutting to help remove air pockets.
This is optional but I top with a layer of horticultural sand. It is claimed it discourages fungus gnats but I mainly like it as it looks prettier and it helps maintain moisture.
Set aside in a protected place and let your cuttings grow on. Mine are on a shelf in my unheated greenhouse.
At the time of this posting it is two weeks after potting them up and they are already showing growth with new leaves.
Would you like more rose starting tips and tricks? Hop on over to my website and get all kinds of garden goodies. Flower Patch Farmhouse

Also I shared a video of this post on my YouTube channel!

Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style
Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
Flower Patch Farmhouse

• Penny-Marie

What is synthetic fertilizer?

• Aimee Elliott

usually a fertilizer is either organic or synthetic and a lot of potting soils have a slow release fertilizer (synthetic) mixed in to try and keep your plants fed all summer.

• Susan Hunter

I missed how you take a cutting. My parents have a six foot beautiful peace and love rose. I would like to take a cutting off it. Could you please send me the link for that? Thanks Suzie