Plant Shelf

$15
1 Day

***UPDATE***

I got my first order for this plant shelf ! I will share the new version (more chic) when done !

Hello to all ! If you are a plant lover like I am ... Here is the perfect project for you! A few weeks ago, I built a wall of plants ... But I had bought more plants and I didn't know where to put them ... So I HAD NO CHOICE but to built a new small shelf to put my new babies !  Please note : I used a lot of things that I already had. The only thing I bought for this project are 5 posts of 2 x 2 x 8, hence the cost of the project.

See how they were all cramped against each other on this ottoman? Poor little ones ...!

First thing to do: cut the wooden planks. In the illustration above, I gave the measurements I used. Personally, I wanted a fairly narrow shelf given the space available. If you want to reproduce this shelf with different dimensions, don't forget to measure the thickness of your wood and adjust the measurements accordingly. Remember that a 2 "x 2" is actually 1.5" and not 2".

I drilled holes with a drill bit countersink on the 2 x 2, where I wanted my shelves.

Once the holes were made, I simply assembled the shelves.

Since I used really rough 2x2s and they are not completely straight, one of the shelves was about 3/8 too short. As I had no more wood and I did not want to buy more, I decided to glue 2 pieces together, hide the mark with plastic wood and cut the shelf to the necessary dimensions. I think it's a success, it almost doesn't show!

After hiding the posts on my shelf, I mixed and applied epoxy resin to my shelves. I had added mica powder, but probably not enough. I was hoping to get a semi opaque finish ... But in the end, it was hardly if the mica had colored the epoxy. Despite everything, I don't hate the effect, it gives the wood an weathered look. I finished by applying 2 coats of Painter's choice black on the posts.

I love this picture !!!

I am very happy with the end result. It looks like an old bookshelf that I took out of the garage, while being just the right amount of "chic". In addition, it furnishes this corner of the living room very well. Hope you enjoyed!